Reaching the Community
School of Medicine researcher Kim Smolderen, Ph.D., is leading a project to raise community awareness of peripheral arterial disease (PAD) and the cardiovascular risks associated with it in one of the city’s most underserved neighborhoods. More >>
A new STAHR Summer Scholars program for college students provides experiences to support student academic progression and retention in health professions programs. More >>
Students at the UMKC School of Medicine find crucial support and leadership opportunities through working with the Student National Medical Association. More >>
Diversity: A program of excellence
Diversity and inclusion are important elements of educating future physicians at the UMKC School of Medicine. INSIGHT Into Diversity, a national diversity-focused publication, has recognized the School of Medicine with a 2018 Health Professions Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award. More >>
New Summer Scholars program opens the door of opportunity in health professions to college undergrads
Two years ago, Karlin Byrd was a Kansas City high school student exploring her options in the health care professions through the UMKC School of Medicine’s Summer Scholars program. Now,…
A few years ago, Kansas City received the federal CHOICE grant to revitalize one of the city’s most underserved neighborhoods. Now, an effort by UMKC School of Medicine researcher Kim…
More than 3,500 runners converged on Kansas City’s Crown Center to compete in the 46th annual Hospital Hill Run on June 1. The UMKC Health Sciences District served as one…
More than 130 UMKC School of Medicine celebrated receiving their doctor of medicine and graduate degrees at the 2019 commencement ceremony on May 20 at Kansas City’ Kauffman Center for…
For Arif Kamal, M.D., ’05, physician quality and outcomes officer for the Duke Cancer Institute in Durham, North Carolina, research is as much about solving a problem as it is…
Physicians carry the responsibility of serving as a patient advocate as well as a care giver, Sam Page, M.D., FASA, told students and faculty at the UMKC School of Medicine…
The UMKC School of Medicine will be participating in CareerEco’s Physician Assistant Virtual Fairs in the Spring and Summer.
- Candidates will have the opportunity to connect real-time with 30+ PA schools without the hassle of leaving your home or office
- You will meet School Representatives online via chat rooms during the event
- Schools’ chat hours will be posted in advance (a camera is not required for the chat feature)
- Click HERE to register today!
- Follow your passion: We offer six medical degree programs and 19 specialty areas.
- Pick your speed: Apply to our six-year, combined BA/MD or the traditional four-year MD. (We also offer master programs in anesthesia, bioinformatics, health professions education and physician assistant; and an interdisciplinary PhD.)
- Get hands on: From your first semester, you’ll interact with patients and learn about medicine.
- Engage with docents: Through our docent learning system, be an apprentice to a practicing physician while taking part in small-group teaching, mentoring and peer coaching.
- Join in with others: Participate in one of 36 student organizations that build friendships, experience and connections.
- Learn with peers: Interprofessional
opportunities abound, as our medical, dental, nursing and pharmacy schools all share a single campus.
- Train with six: We partner with six leading hospitals, providing broad, exceptional clinical experiences and exposure to nationally ranked specialties.
- Embrace city life: Our campus is in the heart of Kansas City, offering lots of restaurants, events, sports and culture.