Diversity: A program of excellence
Diversity and inclusion are important elements of educating future physicians at the UMKC School of Medicine. INSIGHT Into Diversity, a national diversity-focused publication, has recognized the School of Medicine with a 2018 Health Professions Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award. More >>
Students at the UMKC School of Medicine find crucial support and leadership opportunities through working with the Student National Medical Association. More >>
There’s more to medical school than class lectures and clinical rotations. At the School of Medicine, our students can be part of a vast array of extracurricular activities, interest groups, organizations and community service projects. Check here and find the one that's right for you!
A new scholarship at the UMKC School of Medicine recognizes students who go the extra mile to help others through their volunteer efforts. More >>
John Spertus, M.D., M.P.H., professor of medicine and Daniel J. Lauer, M.D., Endowed Chair in Metabolism and Vascular Disease Research, received the American Heart Association’s 2018 Distinguished Scientist Award on…
Cases of acute flaccid myelitis, which mainly affects children and can cause lasting paralysis, continue to be reported this fall across the U.S. When two possible cases of the polio-like…
Dr. Michael Weaver, M.D. ’77, has been recognized by the Black Health Care Coalition of Kansas City for his efforts to narrow the equity gap in health care for African…
Subhjit Sekhon, a fifth-year medical student, has been appointed to serve on the National Committee for the American Medical Women’s Association’s Medical Student Division. Serving as the recruitment chair for the medical student division,…
The School of Medicine Student Research Program has awarded 12 Sarah Morrison Student Research Awards for the Fall 2018 cycle. Recipients included nine medical students and three graduate students. Sarah…
Gary Sutkin, M.D., director of the UMKC School of Medicine’s Surgical Innovations Laboratory, has received a three-year, $600,000 grant from the National Institutes of Health to develop simulation technology that…
Bacterial cell wall biosynthesis, and the search for new antibacterial agents
Bill Gutheil, Ph.D.
UMKC School of Pharmacy
The Photographs of Ralston Crawford
(A Salon is a gathering of people for discussion associated with art, literature or philosophy)
Students, Staff, Faculty are all invited to attend free of charge.
RSVP required to Sarah McKee @ firstname.lastname@example.org.
Save the Date
Dean’s Holiday Reception
Open to all School of Medicine faculty, staff and students
• Live Stream •
Medical School 2018 Commencement
Additional commencement information:
RSVP – No tickets are needed! Please RSVP at the Commencement Website by November 22. If your guest numbers change after your RSVP, that’s ok!
School of Medicine information – please click here.
If you have additional questions regarding commencement, please contact:
Brent McCoy, Student Affairs Coordinator
- Follow your passion: We offer six medical degree programs and 19 specialty areas.
- Pick your speed: Apply to our six-year, combined BA/MD or the traditional four-year MD. (We also offer master programs in anesthesia, bioinformatics, health professions education and physician assistant; and an interdisciplinary PhD.)
- Get hands on: From your first semester, you’ll interact with patients and learn about medicine.
- Engage with docents: Through our docent learning system, be an apprentice to a practicing physician while taking part in small-group teaching, mentoring and peer coaching.
- Join in with others: Participate in one of 36 student organizations that build friendships, experience and connections.
- Learn with peers: Interprofessional
opportunities abound, as our medical, dental, nursing and pharmacy schools all share a single campus.
- Train with six: We partner with six leading hospitals, providing broad, exceptional clinical experiences and exposure to nationally ranked specialties.
- Embrace city life: Our campus is in the heart of Kansas City, offering lots of restaurants, events, sports and culture.