School of Medicine welcomes President Choi
The UMKC School of Medicine welcomed University of Missouri System President Mun Choi on Tuesday, as he toured the medical school with Dean Kanter and UMKC Interim Chancellor and Provost Bichelmeyer. During his visit, President Choi met students, learned about our Docent System and was updated on the new initiative, the UMKC Health Sciences District.
Take the First Step!
Ready for medical school? Now is the time to take action. Applications are being accepted for the B.A./M.D. Program and are due by November 1. Visit our Admissions page to get started.
Students in UMKC’s Interdisciplinary Ph.D. program are working toward their degree with a primary emphasis on bioinformatics through the School of Medicine’s Department of Biomedical and Health Informatics. More
It had been four years since Monica Lau Katamura, M.D., ’13, last stepped inside the UMKC School of Medicine. So when the school’s newest docent returned in August, she wasted…
School of Medicine Dean Steven Kanter, M.D., announced that Sara Gardner, M.D., associate professor and director of the Internal Medicine-Pediatrics residency program, has been appointed assistant dean for Graduate Medical…
Mike Munger, M.D. ’83, a family physician in Overland Park, Kansas, this month became president of the American Academy of Family Physicians at its annual convention. The academy represents…
The School of Medicine recognized members of its faculty who have recently received promotions and tenure and presented awards for faculty achievements at its annual reception on Sept. 7. This…
Randall Thompson, M.D., professor of medicine and cardiologist at Saint Luke’s Mid America Heart Institute, used a hospital CT scan to look at the history of a pair of locally-owned…
A promising therapy to combat brain tumors in children has emerged from a confluence of bold research, scientific insight and luck, a Children’s Mercy research director said Aug. 30 in…
Celebrate with us at UMKC Founders’ Week, September 30 through October 8! Built around the university’s founding on October 1, events throughout the week bring together students, alumni, and the campus and Kansas City communities. Check out the 2017 events schedule at the link below – there’s something for everyone to enjoy!
- Follow your passion: We offer six medical degree programs and 19 specialty areas.
- Pick your speed: Apply to our six-year, combined BA/MD or the traditional four-year MD. (We also offer two-year master programs in anesthesia, bioinformatics, health professions education and physician assistant; and an interdisciplinary PhD.)
- Get hands on: From your first semester, you’ll interact with patients and learn about medicine.
- Engage with docents: Through our docent learning system, be an apprentice to a practicing physician while taking part in small-group teaching, mentoring and peer coaching.
- Join in with others: Participate in one of 36 student organizations that build friendships, experience and connections.
- Learn with peers: Interprofessional
opportunities abound, as our medical, dental, nursing and pharmacy schools all share a single campus.
- Train with six: We partner with six leading hospitals, providing broad, exceptional clinical experiences and exposure to nationally ranked specialties.
- Embrace city life: Our campus is in the heart of Kansas City, offering lots of restaurants, events, sports and culture.