All residents are required to complete a research project during their residency which is presented in an annual residency research day. Residents take CITI certification to perform research as part of their training. CITI training is the information module on human subjects’ protection. Our monthly journal club provides education to the residents regarding formulating research questions, methodology, and data analysis. All residents have a faculty advisor on their project to provide mentorship.
Senior Research Day at Truman Medical Center, Department of Emergency Medicine
- Ryan Bachman DO, Adam Algren MD, Monica Gaddis PhD: Hack Impairment Index
- William Beeler MD, Mike Weaver MD, Monica Gaddis PhD: Utility of Transgender Sensitivity Training in Medical Care Providers and Learners
- Blake Buchanan MD, Charlie Inboriboon MD, Monica Gaddis PhD: Utilization of an Online Educational Website for Emergency Medicine Residents
- Brandon Elder MD, Emily Hillman MD, Charlie Inboriboon MD: Emergency Medicine Resident and Medical Student Technology Use During the Care of Critical Patients: A High Fidelity Simulation Study
- Brian Freeman DO, Kevin O’Rourke MD, Monica Gaddis PhD: Treatment of Allergy and Anaphylaxis
- Craig Hirsch MD, Amy Stubbs MD, Emily Hillman MD, Monica Gaddis PhD: Implementation of a Multi-source Feedback Tool For Nursing Assessment of Emergency Medicine Resident Performance
- Melissa Howard MD, Michael Puskarich MD, Monica Gaddis PhD: Post-antibiotic Hypotension in Sepsis
- Lindsay Schwartz DO, Matthew Gratton MD, Monica Gaddis PhD: Procedures Performed by Faculty in a Teaching Hospital: A Retrospective Review of an Academic Medical Center
- Adam Stuppy MD, Amy Stubbs MD, Monica Gaddis PhD: Comparison of Patient Satisfaction and Need for Narcotic Pain Medicine When Using Loop Drainage vs. Traditional Incision and Drainage for Abscess
- Katherine Willet MD, Kevin O’Rourke MD, Monica Gaddis PhD: Over-antibiotic Use in Sinusitis and Ways to Decrease Inappropriate Antibiotics
- Paul Williams DO, Adam Algren MD: Tylenol and Salicylates in the Suicidal Patient; A Single Center Retrospective Study Using the i2b2 Database
- Abby Blackman MD, Farshad Farnejad MD, Nicole Kibbee MD : Does a Chest CT After a Normal Chest X-ray in Patients with Blunt Trauma Alter Patient Outcomes?
- Shelley Bridgford MD, Christine Sullivan MD, Charlie Inboriboon MD Transitions in Care: When Words Can Save Lives
- Elliott Fried MD, Emily Hillman MD, Charlie Inboriboon MD: Paramedic Physician Transfer of Care
- Bob Edmonds MD, Jay Reich MD: Prehospital Provider Assessment of “Chest Pain” Chief Complaint as Noncardiac
- Jeff Hassenflug MD, Kevin O’Rourke MD: Observational Study of Two CT Outages at Truman Medical Center Emergency Department
- Samantha Nohava MD, Ryan Jacobsen MD: The Use of EMS and ER Services in the Inmate Population: Part I.
- Melina Keithly DO, Ryan Jacobsen MD: The Use of EMS and ER Services in the Inmate Population: Part II
- Ravi J. Patel DO, Emily Hillman MD: Creation of an “E-Clerkship:” Utilizing an Ipad Tablet Device to Streamline Course Delivery and Encourage Self-Directed Learning
- Hunter White, Amy Stubbs MD, Emily Hillman MD: E-Tours: An Alternate Way to Orient EM Clerkship Students and Rotators.
- Emily Roth MD, Jeffrey Hackman MD, Matt Gratton MD: The Effect on Disposition Time of a Nurse-Initiated Chest Pain Protocol
- John Buckner MD, Stefanie Ellison MD: Procedural Curriculum for Lumbar Puncture and Central Line in a Required Emergency Medicine Clerkship
- Amy Doll MD, Gary Gaddis MD PhD. Monica Gaddis PhD: Understanding the Ability to Implement the Full Electronic Health Record Without Decrease in Physician Clinical Efficiency
- Josh Honeyman DO, Srikala Subramanian MD: Patient Discharge Instructions: Factors That Improve Patient Understanding and Compliance
- Dustin Keffer DO, Gary Salzman MD: Evaluation of the Pulmonary Embolism Rule-Out Criteria in a Retrospective Cohort at an Urban Academic Hospital
- Chris Morrison MD, Emily Hillman MD, Charlie Inboriboon MD: EMS Transfer of Care
- Grady Thiems MD, Charlie Inboriboon MD: The Effect of Case-Based Discussion on the Financial Literacy of Emergency Medicine Physicians
- Katie Thompson DO, Angela Bogle MD: How Effective are Emergency Medicine Physicians at Empirically Treating Women Whose Culture Result From That Visit Tests Positive for Gonorrhea and/or Chlamydia?
- Vanessa Welbern MD, Emily Hillman MD, Stefanie Ellison MD, Monica Gaddis PhD: Do ED-Distributed Pain Medications Prevent Repeat ED Presentations for Acute Back Pain? A Retrospective Review
- Derek Yarmer MD, Emily Hillman MD, Charlie Inboriboon MD: Use of Internet and Smart Phone Resources by Physicians in the Management of Emergent Patients: A High-Fidelity Simulation Study
- Eric Canaday DO/Michael Christian MD: Unusual diagnosis in patient with proptosis
- Allen Davied MD/Amy Stubbs MD: Does using ultrasound improve confidence in placing peripheral IVs?
- Stephanie Lewis MD/Sajid Khan MD: Typhilitis-Neutropenic-Enterocolitis
- Ryan White MD/Gary Gaddis MD PhD: Do individual-level socioeconomic status variables function similarly within self-identified black and white cohorts to predict post-myocardial infarction outcomes disparities?
- Beau Butherus MD/Charlie Inboriboon MD: HIV screening in the ED
- Erica Carney MD/Ryan Jacobsen MD: Why EMS transports from prison/jail to the emergency department and what happens to them?
- Jim Hall MD/Jay Reich MD/Ryan Jacobsen MD: EMS refusal of transport: reasons and results
- Thomas Hindsley MD/Steven Go MD/Charlie Inboriboon MD: The prevalence and clinical significance of coagulopathy in chest pain patients
- Rob McCullough MD/Charlie Inboriboon MD: Financial literacy among EM physicians
- Aaron Stinton MD/Jay Reich MD: EMS behavioral emergencies
- David Tarullo MD/Adam Algren MD/Ryan Jacobsen MD: Two successive necrotic lesions secondary to presumed loxosceles envenomation
- Bryson Bowman MD: Transaminase and Creatine Levels in Acetaminophen Overdose and Rhabdomyolysis.
- Scott Campbell DO: Outcomes of EMS Patients Directly Transported from the Field to a Psychiatric Facility-A Retrospective Chart Review.
- David Darmsteadter MD: Asthma Protocol
- Seth Ilgenfritz MD: Acute Rheumatic Fever: Case Report and Review for the Emergency Medicine Physician
- Anne Jacobsen MD: Emergency Department Propofol Study Examining Dosing Regimens and Adverse Outcomes
- Chris Ralph MD: Weapons in the ED
- Jennifer Robertson MD: Emergency Medical Service Use of Intravenous Calcium and Determination of Patient Outcomes.
- Andrew Russell MD: Identification of Hyperkalemia in a Prehospital Setting.
- Caroline Smith MD: Outcomes of Prisoners Transported by EMS to the Emergency Department.
- David Whitmer DO: Providing Pregnancy-Related Materials in an Academic Emergency Department.
- David Biller MD: Complications of Prehospital Spinal Immobilization
- Michael Donohue MD: The Effect of the Electronic Medical Record on ED Throughput
- Sandeep Guttikonda MD: Spotlight on the TMC Social Services Program
- Aaron Kaus MD: Perceptions of Patient Handoff
- Jennifer Kimbrell MD: Evaluation of Continuous Chest Compression-Cardiocerebral Resuscitation Outcomes for Patients with Non-Primary Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest
- Antoinette Koomson MD: STEMI (ST Elevation Myocardial Infarction) and CARDIAC ARREST in the Kansas City Metropolitan Area: Morbidity and Mortality as Related to Mode of Presentation
- Julie Rowell MD: Compliance with Providing Pregnancy Education and Prenatal Vitamins in an Academic Emergency Department
- Sarah Sartain MD: Emergency Medicine Resident Competency Assessment in Interpretation of Fundamental Emergency Ultrasound Applications
- Ted Sibley MD: Bilateral Patellar Tendon Ruptures Without Predisposing Disease or Steroid Use: A Case Report and Review of the Literature
- Jennifer von Fintel MD: Suicide Screening in the Emergency Department
- Blair Cote MD: Emergency Department Propofol Study Examining Dosing Regimens of Propofol on Efficacy and Adverse Outcomes
- Josh Hillen MD: Evaluation of a Rapid HIV Screening Program in the Emergency Department
- Emily Hillman MD: Resident-Nursing Communication
- Ryan Hunsel MD: What is the Efficacy of CT Use in Patients with Confirmed Nephrolithiasis and a Negative UA for Blood?
- Matt Lockwood MD: Distribution of Board-Certified Emergency Medicine Physicians in the State of Kansas
- Curt McGeeney MD: Comparison of Emergency Department Patients Who Receive One Head CT versus Multiple Head CTs at an Academic Urban Hospital
- Jacob Ruthstrom MD: Recognition and Treatment of Anaphylaxis by EMS Providers: Results of a National Survey
- Matt Sinnwell MD: Do Patients Who Leave During Their ED Care and Return Have Serious Illness?
- Hoda Tavalali MD: Post Intubation Sedation Order Set
- Tony Bonin MD: A Multidisciplinary Survey of Resident Wellness
- Chris Carlson MD: ED Procedures and Billing
- Adam Chick MD: EKG 101
- David Hobley MD: Using Ability to Ambulate as a Nursing Triage Tool in Ankle Injuries
- Luke Morris DO: High-Frequency Oscillatory Ventilation to Facilitate Healing in Bronchopleural Fistula: A Case Report
- Swetha Sridhar MD: Utility of Serum Acetaminophen, Salicylate, Alcohol, and Urine Drug Screens in the Evaluation of Psychiatric Patients in the Emergency Department
- Shawn Stanley MD: Metal Detectors: Workplace Safety or Infringement of Rights?
- Tim Stebbins MD: Survival Data After Cardiac Arrest Using Prehospital Continuous Cardiac Compression (CCC) Protocol
- Beau Watts MD: Management of Suboptimal INR in the ED
Robert M Elenbaas PharmD Research Award:
- 2016 Ravi Patel, D.O.
- 2015 Dustin Keffer D.O. and Vanessa Welbern M.D.
- 2014 David Tarullo, M.D. and Ryan White, M.D.
- 2013 Scott Campbell, D.O. and Anne Jacobsen, M.D.
- 2012 David Biller, M.D.
- 2011 Matt Lockwood, M.D.
- 2010 Tim Stebbins MD and Shawn Stanley MD