We dare to be different…
…while making a difference!
The University of Missouri – Kansas City (UMKC) residency program is a true leader in Family Medicine education and the delivery of healthcare. You will not find a more innovative program in the country, one that is continually breaking new ground in the future of primary care.
- Areas of Concentration – Our residents can customize their education. We offer specialized areas focused in Geriatric Medicine, Global Health, Health Informatics, Integrative Medicine, Rural Medicine, Sports Medicine, and Women’s Health & Maternity.
- Block Scheduing – 13 four-week rotations per year (curriculum). This allows our residents to get a broader experience across the spectrum of primary care in the form of additional electives.
- Combined with the opportunity for a great tertiary care experience at our urban hospital, Truman Medical Centers (TMC) is an academic health center providing accessible, state-of-the-art quality healthcare to our community regardless of the ability to pay.
- Education – We have dedicated didactic sessions weekly, which is protected time from clinical responsibilities. All residents also get together at the end of each block for education and to discuss process improvements. We also have three required noon conferences per week during which lunch is provided, as well as other lunchtime educational opportunities.
- Educational Conference Room – utilizing technology offers the ability to provide didactics on all levels. Our recent RRC reviewer commented that the only place he has seen in the country such a sophisticated electronic video system was at the Mayo Clinics.
- Electronic Medical Record (EMR) – The entire system works off Cerner – PowerChart, allowing for easy access to information between specialists, clinics and the inpatient services. TMC has for the 5th consecutive year been named as one of Health Care’s “Most Wired” organizations by Hospitals & Health Networks magazine, the journal of the American Hospital Association.
- Family Friendly – Having one of the largest residencies in the country allows for easy cross coverage for unexpected life emergencies.
- Fellowships – Taking the areas of concentration one step further, we also have three fellowship programs – Advanced OB, Geriatric Medicine, and Sports Medicine.
- Medical Library – open 24 hours; conveniently located in the Residency Center. Services include an onsite journal and monograph collection, e-card catalog, reference service, bibliographic instruction, literature searching, article retrieval, technology instruction and educational program support. Staffed by a professional Clinical Medical Librarian who is a vital part of our administration.
- Modified Night Float System – PGY I and II residents work a week of call rather than the entire month. We see no need to “overwork” our residents. We foster a positive learning environment.
- Ranked as a Top Five FM OB program in the U.S. – We delivered over 1200 babies last year. Over 90% of c-sections are staffed by family physicians trained in surgical obstetrics.
- Resident Involvement. Through the Medical Education Committee and representation to administration by the chief residents, the residents have a significant voice in the policies and programs within the residency.
- Resident Lounge – newly updated “resident only” area is a place to get work done, study and relax. Includes a wall mounted 55” TV, conference table with chairs, modern tech center with telephones, computers and additional jacks for personal computers, refrigerator, microwave and a new single serving coffee maker.
- Specialty Clinics – Our residents have the option to have additional clinics: Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment (OMT), Maternal Care, Sports Medicine, Dermatology and Procedures, Rheumatology, Pulmonology, Gynecology and Colposcopy.
- Unopposed program in a primary care community hospital setting. Our program is the only residency centered in our hospital (TMC Lakewood). Our residents have their own continuity clinics, manage the labor and delivery unit, the newborn nursery, and the inpatient unit including the ICU.
We have really great people to work with, and excel as one of the top programs in the U.S. in Academics, Geriatric Medicine, Maternity Care, Pediatrics, Public Health, Sports and Adolescent Medicine.