The requirements for admission are governed by the Department of Biomedical and Health Informatics. An admissions committee within the department is composed of faculty and administrators who review complete applications and make all final admission decisions.
Applicants offered admission to the Graduate Certificate in Clinical Research may begin coursework in either the fall or spring semester.
- Applicants for admission to the Graduate Certificate in Clinical Research must have earned, or will soon earn, a baccalaureate degree from a nationally accredited college or university.
- It is preferred that baccalaureate degrees be in a scientific discipline, or that the applicant holds a health-related professional degree.
- It is preferred that applicants have earned a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- A minimum combined GRE score of 300 is required
- U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and international applicants must submit GRE scores. GRE score requirements may be waived if one of the following apply:
- The applicant holds a master’s or doctorate degree from a regionally accredited institution in the United States.
- The applicant is currently in or has completed medical residency or medical fellowship.
- The applicant currently holds a faculty position in the United States.
- While the preferred exam is the GRE, applicants who have earned an MCAT score may use that score in place of the GRE. If applicants choose to submit an MCAT score, the minimum score is a 24 on the old MCAT or a 500 on the 2015 MCAT.
- o If an applicant has passed STEP I of the USMLE (United States Medical Licensing Exam), an MCAT or GRE score is not required.
- GRE and MCAT scores must have been earned within five years of the application deadline.
- UMKC GRE code: 6872; MCAT code: 808
TOEFL or IELTS Score (International Applicants Only)
- The TOEFL exam or IELTS exam is required for international applicants whose native language is not English.
- More information on which countries are exempt from the TOEFL or IELTS can be found here.
- TOEFL Scores: A minimum score of 550 (paper-based exam), 213 (computer-based exam) or 79 (Internet-based exam) is required.
- UMKC TOEFL electronic code: 6872
- IELTS Scores: A minimum score of 6.0 is required for graduate level study at UMKC.
- IELTS scores should be sent to:
UMKC International Student Affairs
Student Success Center, G-04
5100 Rockhill Road
Kansas City, MO 64110
- Applicants who are currently participating in or have successfully completed a graduate medical residency or fellowship and have passed USMLE Step II – Clinical Skills are not required to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score.
*For applicants interested in working as a Graduate Teaching Assistant, a minimum score of 24 on the speaking section of the TOEFL is required.
The Department of Biomedical and Health Informatics strongly recommends that prospective students communicate with a faculty advisor prior to applying for the Graduate Certificate in Clinical Research. Please contact Jennifer Tufts at 816-235-1184 or firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment.