Requirements for Consideration
In order to be considered for the Medical Scholars program, a student must meet the following requirements:
- Attend an institution with whom UMKC has partnered with to offer the Medical Scholars program:
- Avila University
- Blackburn College
- Drury University
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- Missouri Western State University
- Park University
- Rockhurst University
- Truman State University
- University of Missouri – St. Louis
- William Jewell College
- Obtain a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher at the end of the sophomore year. Students must earn a grade of B- or better in all science coursework. Students who do not earn a B- or better in all science coursework will not be eligible for consideration.
- Students must present a full application which will include the following:
- Medical Scholars Program Application.
- College transcript displaying grades through the point of application.
- Personal statement or essay addressing the following: What has motivated you to study medicine? Why are you interested in the UMKC Medical Scholars program?
- Résumé or CV, highlighting specific health care experiences.
- A minimum of three letters of recommendation, including at least one from a faculty member.
Final Requirements for Students Admitted to the Medical Scholars Program
Matriculation to the UMKC School of Medicine is conditional upon meeting the following requirements:
- Earn a baccalaureate degree from a partner institution prior to entering the School of Medicine.
- Earn a combined MCAT score of 500 or higher on the 2015 MCAT.
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- Earn an AMCAS BCPM (Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics) GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- Complete the following pre-requisite coursework with a grade of B or better:
- One semester of biochemistry
- One semester of genetics
- One semester of cell biology
- Students must earn a grade of B- or better in all other science coursework.
- At graduation, provide a letter of support from an academic adviser or faculty member addressing professionalism.
- Submit the General Application for Admission to UMKC and the AMCAS application.
- Submit to and pass a criminal background check prior to matriculation to the School of Medicine.
- Submit the School of Medicine Technical Standards.