At UMKC and the hospital affiliates located within the UMKC Health Sciences District the management of research projects, grant awards, grant subcontracts, clinical trials contracts and research gifts administered by the institutions is dependent on the sponsor and intent of the funds.
To protect human subjects that participate in research, all research activity at UMKC must be reviewed by the UMKC Institutional Review Board (IRB) of the UMKC Research Compliance office.
Virtually all human subjects research projects conducted at Truman Medical Centers (TMC) is reviewed/approved by the UMKC IRB unless the institution has entered into an IRB reliance agreement with an external IRB that allows the other IRB to review and approve the project. UMKC does have an IRB reciprocity agreement with other entities in Kansas City.
- Federally funded grants – including subcontracts from other universities and institutions as well as foundation supported research grants – e.g., American Lung Association, are processed through UMKC. This includes federally supported research projects that involve the consent and enrollment of study participants at TMC. The School of Medicine (SOM) Office of Research Administration (ORA) works closely with the campus Office of Research Services (ORS) to process the grant proposal process (Pre-Award) and spending/allocation of resources on grants (Post-Award) for SOM faculty. More info about SOM faculty and grant awards – see #1 below.
- Philanthropic support to the University to support a program or University faculty member’ projects are considered gifts and are managed by the UMKC Foundation.
- Clinical trials sponsored by pharmaceutical and device industry manufacturers are coordinated and contracted via Truman Medical Centers and the physicians’ employer – e.g., University Health Physicians. TMC and University Health Physicians are the collectively listed as the party in clinical trial agreements with industry research sponsors. The ORA negotiates the terms and requirements of the clinical trial agreements with study sponsors. The research process for TMC is listed at: http://med.umkc.edu/ora/conducting-research-at-tmc/
- Gifts and monies to support TMC’s mission and its requests related to patients are managed by the TMC Charitable Foundation: https://www.tmcgiving.org/
- Government grants and awards related to patient care at TMC are requested and managed through the TMC Government Relations Office. Contact Linda Sharp at (816) 404-2350.