- Large-volume autoclaves
- Deionized water station
- Air dryers
- Flask scrubber
- BIOHAZ (red bins) medical waste container pick up/drop off area
- Back up -80, and 4 degree C cold storage
- Dry Ice available for lab specimen shipments – contact at least 48 hours prior to shipment. Up to 10 lbs. per day (4 blocks) of ice is available.
- Distilled water available. Contact at least 48 hours in advance. Containers can be filled upon request. Please provide an empty container.
- Light and fluorescence microscopes equipped with on PAXcam microscope camera, and PAX-it imaging software.
All new-hire researchers are required to attend an orientation training prior to utilizing the Central Lab.
Central Lab Orientation Video (requires WMV player and UMKC SSO)
Per School of Medicine (SOM) policy – research investigators, staff, students, and volunteers that work in SOM laboratories including the Central Lab, must complete biohazard training from CITI.
For more info see – http://med.umkc.edu/ora/human_subjects
- Hazardous chemicals are managed by the UMKC Environmental Health and Safety Office (EHS). EHS maintains the University bar-coding system to inventory and track hazardous materials at UMKC. EHS works with every lab and conducts audits of each lab. In addition, EHS provides emergency response efforts for chemical spills.
- Dr. Xiangping Chu is the School of Medicine representative for UMKC Chemical Safety Committee.
- SOM researchers should contact the Office of Research Administration at email@example.com or (816)235-6247 when new chemicals are received, hazardous chemicals need to be removed, or assistance with the new inventory system and management of chemical inventories in labs.