Requirements for Consideration
In order to be considered for the PA Scholars program, a student must meet the following requirements:
- Attend an institution with whom UMKC has partnered to offer the PA Scholars program:
- University of Missouri – Kansas City
- University of Missouri – Columbia
- University of Missouri – St. Louis
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- Avila University
- Truman State University
- Rockhurst University
- Obtain a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher at the time of application.
- Students must earn a grade of B- or better in all science coursework. Students who do not earn a B- or better in all science coursework will not be eligible for admission.
- Complete at least 24 hours of shadowing a physician assistant.
Application review & selection process
Students must submit the following applications and application materials:
- School of Medicine Scholars application
- College and/or university transcripts displaying grades through the point of application
- Résumé or CV
- Shadowing Experience Verification Form,
- Verifying at least 24 hours of shadowing a physician assistant for the PA program.
- A minimum of three letters of recommendation. At least one letter must be submitted from a faculty member.
Final Requirements for Students Offered Admission to the MMSPA Scholars Program
Matriculation to the School of Medicine Master of Medical Science Physician Assistant Program is contingent upon meeting the following requirements:
- Earn a baccalaureate degree from a partner institution prior to entering the School of Medicine MMSPA program.
- Earn a combined MCAT score of 24 or higher (equivalent to a score of 500 on the 2015 MCAT) or a combined GRE score of 300 or higher.
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- Earn a GPA of 3.5 or higher in the following pre-requisite courses:
- One semester of biology with lab,
- Two semesters of chemistry (or equivalent) with lab,
- One semester of human anatomy with lab,
- One semester of human physiology with lab,
- One semester of a combined human anatomy and physiology course with lab (4 credit hour course) will be accepted.
- One semester of microbiology with lab,
- One semester of biochemistry (upper level course),
- One semester of organic chemistry with lab,
- One semester of statistics,
- One medical terminology course.
- Students must earn a grade of B- or better in all pre-requisite coursework.
- At graduation, provide a letter of support from an academic advisor or faculty member addressing professionalism.
- Submit to and pass a criminal background check prior to matriculation.
- Submit the School of Medicine MMSPA Technical Standards.
- Submit the general application for admission to UMKC.
- Submit the CASPA application.