Saturday Academy Mission:
Saturday Academy is designed to help students interested in health careers strengthen their math and science skills. Through this enrichment program, students will recognize and develop skills that enable them to excel in mathematics, science, reading, and test taking.
This free educational program is open to motivated high school students in the Kansas City metro area.
Saturday Academy is available throughout the school year. The sessions run from the third Saturday in October to the second Saturday in March from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. in person format.
The curriculum includes the following subject areas:
- Math Instruction
- ACT Prep
- Health Careers Exploration
Health Careers Exploration
Saturday Academy provides an outlet for students to interact with health care professionals from various specialties. Professionals from medicine, nursing, dentistry, pharmacy for networking opportunities for students to gain resources that will assist them in preparing for a career in health care.
History of Saturday Academy
Saturday Academy was a core program of the Greater Kansas City Health Professions Pipeline Initiative (GKC-HPPI), which originated as an outgrowth of the Association of American Medical College’s “Project 3000 by 2000” initiative to address a continuing under representation of minority students in medical schools.
The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the W.K. Kellogg Foundation funded this initiative from 1998 to 2003, with matching funds coming from a local foundation. When the funding expired in 2003, the UMKC School of Medicine committed to providing the resources to continue the Saturday Academy program.
Saturday Academy is geared toward students belonging to groups traditionally underrepresented in scientific careers including African-Americans, Native Americans and Latino students. However, the program is open to any student who is motivated and interested in attending.
Students interested in Saturday Academy must meet the following requirements:
- Personal interest in pursuing a healthcare profession
- Must be in grades 9, 10, 11, 12
- Economically disadvantaged or educationally disadvantaged
- 2.75 Minimum cumulative GPA
- Available to take part in Saturday Sessions in-person only
- Complete the Saturday Academy online application
- Complete Reference Form
- Complete Parent Consent Form
- Submit your most up-to-date academic transcript
- Must apply by Friday, October 6, 11:59pm CST
Before You Apply:
To learn more and determine whether the Saturday Academy program is the right fit, read this important information:
- Health career Exploration
- Hands on training
- Mentorship Opportunities
- Students who complete the program successfully and meet the admissions criteria will be granted an automated interview for the BA/MD program.
- Small Stipend Gift upon completion of the program
Transcripts and/or grade cards should be uploaded via the application (upload button at the bottom of the form) or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All interested students should apply; For questions about Saturday Academy, please contact the UMKC STAHR Program at email@example.com or 816-235-6169.