The Masters of Health Professions Education (MHPE) provides an educational research foundation for teaching, assessment and leadership in health professions education. The MHPE curriculum is comprised of eight core courses which focus on the application of learning principles to educational practice and three elective courses applying specialization in teaching technology, simulation, or research. All courses emphasize an applied project based on students’ professional experiences. The educational portfolio serves as an integrative tool across courses, and as a showcase for student accomplishments.
- Interprofessional–For all health education professionals.
- Educational research foundation–Evidence-based decision making.
- Application–Based on solving real instructional problems in health professions education.
- Professional Portfolio–Documents learning goals and accomplishments.
- Blended–Coursework is blended (includes both classroom and asynchronous online instruction. Most courses require some synchronous class meetings.)
- Understand and apply educational research in health professions education.
- Design evidence-based educational programs and materials with appropriate scope, sequence, and focus for learners.
- Deliver effective, theory-based instruction in large group, small group and clinical settings.
- Effectively use assessment tools to reflect student progress and to promote student learning.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of programs, curricula and instructional events.
- Provide reflective and evidence-based leadership.
- Develop cultural awareness and commitment to diversity as linked to practice in all aspects of health professions education.
- Contribute to excellence in health professions education and advancement of the health professions education community.
Plan of Study
The program includes the following courses:
- Current Issues in Health Professions Education (HPRE 5530)
- Principles and Methods of Research (EDRP 5508)
- Teaching in Health Professions Education (HPRE 5560)
- Assessment in Health Professions Education (HPRE 5550)
- Curriculum Design in Health Professions Education (HPRE 5522)
- Program Evaluation in Health Professions Education (HPRE 5580)
- Leadership and Administration in Health Professions Education (HPRE 5500)
- Learning Portfolio in Health Professions Education (HPRE 5588)
- Community Engagement in Education (HPRE 5535)
- Simulation in Health Professions Education (HPRE 5565)
- Independent Study (HPRE 5540)
- Applied Biostatistics I (MEDB 5501)
“Providing the foundation for excellence in health professions education.”
UMKC School of Medicine