All residents are required to complete a research project during their residency which is presented in an annual residency research day. Residents take CITI certification to perform research as part of their training. CITI training is the information module on human subjects’ protection. Our monthly journal club provides education to the residents regarding formulating research questions, methodology, and data analysis. All residents have a faculty advisor on their project to provide mentorship.
Senior Research Day at Truman Medical Center, Department of Emergency Medicine
- Ashley Borden, DO: A Knowledge Survey of Mass Casualty Incident Preparedness by Pre-Hospital Providers (Monica Gaddis, PhD; Erica Carney, MD)
- Sean Mark, MD: Examining the effect of Emergency Department Interim Orders In Improving ED throughput (Kevin O’Rourke, MD; Monica Gaddis, PhD)
- Joshua Abernathy, MD: Did a National Shortage of Hydromorphone Affect Hospital Admission Rates in Patients with Sickle Cell Disease? (Kevin O’Rourke, MD; Monica Gaddis, PhD; Laurie Kemble)
- Jesal Amin, MD: Are Patients That Meet Sepsis Criteria Safe for Discharge? (Charlie Inboriboon, MD; Monica Gaddis, PhD)
- Bradley Beran, DO: Effectiveness of Non-Transport Emergency Medical Services Units in Emergency Medical Technician Field Experience. (P. Ganss, L. Kemble, B. Beran, M. Gaddis, D. Schwindt, E. Hillman)
- German Candanedo, MD: Difference in Time to Get CT with Contrast vs CT without Contrast After Protocol Requesting BMP Prior to Contrast Administration (Andrew Balk, MD; Monica Gaddis, PhD)
- Benjamin Cross, MD: Perspectives on Diversity from Applicants to the UMKC Emergency Medicine Program (Melanie Camejo, MD; Monica Gaddis, PhD; Laurie Kemble)
- James O’Brien, MD: A Review of Emergency Department Outpatient Antibiotic Selection for Urinary Tract Infections (Monica Gaddis, PhD; Kevin O’Rourke, MD)
- Ashley Olson, DO: To Teach or Not To Teach, That is the Question: A Study Comparing Traditional Lectures & 5 Minute Videos To Assess
- Medical Students’ EM Knowledge and Lecture Preference (Melanie Camejo, MD; Monica Gaddis, PhD; Stefanie Ellison, MD; Emily Hillman, MD)
- James Tiehen, MD: A Standardized Procedure for Handoff of the Trauma Patient from the Field (Erica Carney, MD; Monica Gaddis, PhD)
- Amanda Wavrin, DO: Improving Compliance with use of a Central Line Checklist to Reduce Central Line Associated Bacterial Infections: A Study Utilizing the PDSA Cycle (Emily Hillman, MD; Monica Gaddis, PhD)
Robert M Elenbaas PharmD Research Award:
- 2020 Ashley Borden, D.O.
- 2019 Liliya Kraynov, M.D.
- 2018 Paul Toigo, D.O.
- 2017 Ryan Bachman, D.O.
- 2016 Ravi Patel, D.O.
- 2015 Dustin Keffer D.O. and Vanessa Welbern M.D.
- 2014 David Tarullo, M.D. and Ryan White, M.D.
- 2013 Scott Campbell, D.O. and Anne Jacobsen, M.D.
- 2012 David Biller, M.D.
- 2011 Matt Lockwood, M.D.
- 2010 Tim Stebbins MD and Shawn Stanley MD