All residents are required to complete a research project during their residency which is presented in an annual residency research day. Residents take CITI certification to perform research as part of their training. CITI training is the information module on human subjects’ protection. Our monthly journal club provides education to the residents regarding formulating research questions, methodology, and data analysis. All residents have a faculty advisor on their project to provide mentorship.
Senior Research Day at Truman Medical Center, Department of Emergency Medicine
- Cody Baker, MD: Ketorolac and Diazepam: Is combination therapy with long-acting benzodiazepine and NSAID superior to NSAID alone in theEmergency Department setting for MSK pain? Melanie Camejo, MD; Monica Gaddis, PhD
- Chris Erikson, DO: Time-to-Discharge Pre and Post Implementation of High-Sensitivity Cardiac Troponins at a Level 1 Inner City Hospital Angela Bogle, MD; Monica Gaddis, PhD, Laurie Kemble, BHSRT, CCRC
- Ryan Krempels, MD: Clinical Decision Rules and the Public Perception Canadian CT Head Rule– Melanie Camejo, MD; Monica Gaddis, PhD
- Peter Lampe, MD: COVID‐19 Screening and Surveillance: A study of the Kansas City Fire Department First Responders – EMS/KCFD Erica Carney, MD, Michelle Shearer and Dr. Gaddis, PhD
- Jonathan Lyons, DO: Rabies Research Consortium Brandon Elder, MD, Kevin O’Rourke, MD, Monica Gaddis, PhD, Laurie Kemble, BHSRT, CCRC
- Brian Opferman, MD: Emergency Medicine Resident Point-of-Care Ultrasound Skills with Focused Assessment with Sonography for Trauma: A PilotCurriculum Study Incorporating Computer-Based Simulation Emily Hillman, MD, Andrew Balk, MD, Kevin O’Rourke, MD, Monica Gaddis, PhD, Laurie Kemble BHSRT, CCRC
- Nathan Rider, MD: ACLS During Traumatic Cardiac Arrest Interferes with Life-Saving Interventions: An Analysis of a Level I Trauma Center Melanie Camejo, MD, Tyler Haas, MD, Monica Gaddis, PhD, Laurie Kemble, BHSRT, CCRC
- Jeremy Serreyn, DO: Trauma in Low Resource Settings-Brandon Elder , MD
- Matthew Whitton, MD: Clinical Decision Rules and the Public Perception: Ottawa Ankle Rules-Melanie Camejo, MD, Monica Gaddis, PhD, LaurieKemble, BHSRT, CCRC
- Riley Williams, MD: Does Resident Education Impact In-House Spanish Interpreter Use in the UH-TMC Emergency Department? Kevin O’Rourke, MD, Monica Gaddis, PhD
- Hunter Winstead, MD: In-situ Mock Trauma Program: Initiation, Lessons Learned, and Next Steps– Emily Hillman, MD, Monica Gaddis, PhD, Dr.Dustin Neel, MD, Andrea Hawk, RN, Kaleena Swingle-Bauck, CRNA, Caitlyn Mapel, Marcquis Zweifel
Robert M Elenbaas PharmD Research Award:
- 2021 Brendan Kurtz, M.D.
- 2020 Ashley Borden, D.O.
- 2019 Liliya Kraynov, M.D.
- 2018 Paul Toigo, D.O.
- 2017 Ryan Bachman, D.O.
- 2016 Ravi Patel, D.O.
- 2015 Dustin Keffer D.O. and Vanessa Welbern M.D.
- 2014 David Tarullo, M.D. and Ryan White, M.D.
- 2013 Scott Campbell, D.O. and Anne Jacobsen, M.D.
- 2012 David Biller, M.D.
- 2011 Matt Lockwood, M.D.
- 2010 Tim Stebbins MD and Shawn Stanley MD