3 Ways College Students can Finance Holiday Plans
As we count down the days to Thanksgiving and holiday breaks, it’s hard not to think about holiday spending as well. Financing the holidays can be a struggle for college students who are just trying to finance school! I’ve listed 3 tips below to get your creativity flowing when discussing with your friends about your holiday plans. Plus, scroll down for “This Week at AAMC” for even MORE frugal and fun tips.
- Host a Friendsgiving – Gathering around the table with friends is the perfect way to spend Thanksgiving. Collectively save money by having each friend bring a homemade dish to Friendsgiving. You could even require the dish brought must be a yummy family favorite that reminds you of home.
- Thrift your gifts – Kansas City has thrift shops on every corner. Set a spending budget (like $5 for instance) and challenge each friend to buy one gift to swap from a thrift store. The ideas can be endless and this is a fun one you can even bring back home to try with family as well.
- Save early for trips back home – A large number of students plan to go home for the holidays. Whether that is close by or far away, be sure to add travel expenses into your semester budgets early. Saving for travel home on the front end makes the busy holiday season (and end of the semester season) less stressful!
Want more holiday spending tips? Check out this blog.
►Manage money with AAMC
AAMC Financial Wellness: The AAMC has created a robust financial management dashboard specifically designed for medical students. Use this dashboard to:
- Track Financial Health
- Budget & Track Spending
- Create Financial to-do’s
- Create Financial Goals
- Organize Student Loans
- Utilize Resources & Calculators
Create a free account today! Visit the site here and choose UMKC as your school.
►This week @ AAMC:
Avoiding Surprises with Holiday Spending
Does the idea of the holiday season fill you with dread instead of joy? If you’re worried about holiday spending, you’re not alone! This week we have lots of ideas for a happy season.
- Holiday Spending: Avoiding Surprises
- Holiday Spending by the Numbers
- Splurge Accounts Can Help With Impulse Spending
- Holiday Spending Survival Guide
- Put a Holiday Spending Worksheet to Work
- Frugal Fun After Too Much Holiday Spending
*RSVP to all these events here: Financial Wellness Center – RooGroups (umkc.edu)
Volker Financial Wellness Events:
Financial Steps to Take at your First Job – Dec 1 @ 1 pm – 402 Student Union
Starting your first full-time job is an exciting and overwhelming experience. This workshop will provide helpful tips to set you up for financial success.
We’ll help you understand a salary and benefits package, navigate student loan repayment, and work toward big financial goals.