It is a very exciting time in Primary Care medicine! Thank you for showing interest in our Primary Care Track. Our program strives to provide residents with the education, opportunities, and tools necessary to prepare for a rewarding career in primary care medicine.
The Primary Care Track (PCT) is a 2-year track beginning at the start of the PGY-2 year. Interested Internal Medicine residents will be identified during their first year of residency. We have a limit of 4 PCT residents per PGY class. If there are more than 4 residents who are interested, there will be a selection process to identify the best candidates.
Our PCT integrates our categorical curriculum with increased ambulatory experiences. Our PCT residents have access to unique ambulatory electives not available to our standard categorical residents. They also have added scheduling flexibility for customizing the PCT curriculum based on each resident’s individual needs.
Elective experiences available in:
We were recently awarded a $1.9 million HRSA grant for Primary Care Residency Expansion. Beginning in July 2011, we expanded our residency program and Primary Care Track by 2 residents per year. Through this additional funding, we improved our ambulatory primary care experience, expanded our didactic curriculum, and developed leadership opportunities within the primary care track through the following:
- Patient-Centered Medical Home model in the primary care clinic
- Rural and/or international medicine rotations
- Patient home visit program
- Curriculum to educate residents in culturally and linguistically appropriate services (CLAS)
- Monthly PCT Journal Club
- Nationally renowned experts in primary care discuss key challenges facing primary care physicians
- Separate Chief Resident for the PCT