The annual Dr. Reaner and Mr. Henry Shannon Lectureship in Minority Health was developed to create awareness about health disparities. Through a yearly lectureship held the last Friday in February, medical professionals, students, residents and the local community gain access to information about timely issues that impact under-served and minority communities.
To Donate to the Endowment please visit: http://go.umkc.edu/give/ and select “Designate your gift to an academic unit, scholarship, or program” and type in “Shannon Lecture Endowment” to indicate your designation.
Upcoming Lectureship Speaker
All are welcome to attend.
Past Lectureship Speakers
- 2022 Michael L. Weaver, M.D., President, Mission Vision Project KC, Chairperson, Critical Mass Gathering
- 2021 Patrice Harris, M.D., past-president of the American Medical Association
- 2020 Meena Singh, M.D., Director, KMC Hair Center, Shawnee, Kansas
- 2019 Altha J. Stewart, M.D., President, the American Psychiatric Association
- 2018 Michael Moncure, M.D., Professor, Department of Surgery, UMKC School of Medicine
- 2017 Daphne Bascom, M.D., Ph.D, Senior Vice President of Community Integrated Health for the Greater Kansas City YMCA
- 2016 J. Nadine Gracia, M.D., M.S.C.E., Deputy Assistant Secretary, Minority Health and Director, Office of Minority Health at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- 2015 Louis Sullivan, M.D., Former U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services
- 2014 Henry B. Randall, M.D., F.A.C.S, director, Henry and Marion Block Liver Disease and Transplant Center, Kanas City
- 2013 Jose Manuel de la Rosa, M.D., vice president for health affairs at the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center-El Paso and founding dean at the Paul L. Foster School of Medicine
- 2012 Karan Baucom, M.D., F.A.A.R.M., ’75, medical director for the Baucom Institute for Longevity and Life Enhancement
- 2011 Dr. Eve Higginbotham, Senior VP and Executive Dean, Health Sciences at Howard University
- 2010 Dr. Dana Thompson (’91), Professor, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
- 2009 Dr. Nevada Lee, Medical Director, Continua Hospice and Bethlehem Home Health
- 2008 Dr. Gloria Wilder-Brathwaite, President/CEO, Core Health; Founder of Justice Speaks
- 2007 Dr. Tim Hickman, Associate Dean of Curriculum, UMKC School of Medicine
- 2006 Dr. Jocelyn Elders, former U.S. Surgeon General