Office of Research Administration

UMKC School of Med student – process to conduct research at the Children’s Mercy Hospital and Clinics (CMH)

1. Communication

Students should use their UMKC email account for all communication.

2. Contact Children’s Mercy Hospital

Student to contact CMH Children’s Mercy Research Learner Portal for access at CMH.

3. Children’s Mercy Hospital

Apply for a research opportunity in the Children’s Mercy Research Learner Portal.

4. Complete the SOM Student Research Information Form

Student completes the Student Research Information Form (list the CMH mentor) and submit with a copy of student’s resume/CV.

5. Online Research Training

To comply with CMH IRB and UMKC IRB requirements, student completes:
UMKC CITI  training courses:

  • Human subjects of research training – Group 1-Biomedical (#1)
  • Conflicts of Interest training (#3)
6. Institutional Review Board (IRB)

For clinical research projects at CMH – mentor will complete CMH IRB submission/add a student to current CMH IRB approval.

7. For Students Participating in Research That Is Part of University Course/Class or Required UMKC Student Activity at CMH
Only SOM students enrolled in a University course or class that requires research activity at CMH need to complete section 7 because these students are acting as an agent of the University and are engaged in human subjects research.
To comply with CMH and UMKC IRB requirements, student completes:

  1. The UMKC IRB Request-to-Rely (R-t-R) form – for UMKC to rely on the CMH IRB review: UMKC Request to Rely on a CTSA Partner

Student submits the R-t-R and Disclosure Forms with CITI certificates to the UMKC IRB –

*For guidance on how to complete the UMKC IRB forms – students may contact the Research Support team of study coordinators at:

8. Research Information Team

The Research Support Team created a detailed and comprehensive Research Information Guide for residents, students and faculty that plan to conduct research activities at UMKC and the clinical affiliates – Truman Medical Centers, Children’s Mercy Hospitals, St. Luke’s, and the Center for Behavioral Medicine. The Research Information Guide is posted at: