Skip to content
- Provide adequate clinical space for the student to care for patients.
- Ensure that students are not used as a substitute for clinical or administrative staff.
- Review and sign all of the student’s patient records within 24 hours.
- Familiarize each student with the protocols, rules, and regulations of the facility.
- Maintain administrative and professional supervision of the student while on duty.
- Provide direct supervision by qualified staff while the student is performing procedures.
- Provide students with dressing and eating facilities similar to those of employees.
- Allow students to participate in and attend education offerings by and at the facility. Notify the Clinical Coordinator in a timely manner of any unsatisfactory conduct or performance.
- Provide evaluations for each student on PA program forms. Allow and provide students with opportunities to meet objectives.
- Provide PA program faculty access to the student, preceptor, and facility.
- In the event of an accident or sudden illness, the student will be allowed to seek medical attention at the facility or an emergency room where the provider on duty will determine the course of treatment. Cost of the injury of illness is the sole responsibility of the student. In regard to the management of minor or chronic illness, PA students are advised that preceptors are not required or encouraged to provide care for students, pro bono or otherwise.
- Maintain full responsibility for the patient’s medical care and treatment.
- Orient student to the safety and security measures of the clinical site.
- Take the lead in the care of the patient; s/he must be present and actively involved in any student contributions to portions of the billable service.
- Expect students to perform similar to a third or fourth year medical student. If the student shows any serious deficiency or is in danger of not achieving the learning objectives or failing the rotation, please promptly notify the Clinical Coordinator.
- Contact the Clinical Coordinator for clarification of matters relating to the rotation. Notify your hospital, clinic, or nursing home that you will be a preceptor. Inquire about policies and regulations governing PA students in all facilities.
- Ensure that only medical tasks delegated by you are performed by the student and that services rendered by the student are regularly evaluated.
- Judge the student’s performance according to the objectives and goals set by the program for the clinical rotation
- Involve the student in all aspects of the practice, including hospital and nursing home services, so that your students receive a well-rounded education.