This award acknowledges and celebrates both a senior and junior faculty member who has made significant contributions to enhancing and developing the careers of faculty and trainees as a mentor.
The faculty recipients should be individuals who have influenced faculty and trainees by their generosity, listening skills, objectivity, and by providing constructive feedback regarding career and professional/personal development.
Nominee must be a tenure track or nontenure track faculty member in the UMKC School of Medicine for a minimum of 5 years.
Lifetime Achievement in Mentoring
- Professor rank (all tracks)
Excellence in Mentoring
- Associate or Assistant Professor (all tracks)
Nomination guidelines and materials to be submitted by the deadline:
- A nomination letter must include a narrative of how this individual’s mentoring has impacted your career and the careers of others. Specific outcome measures of the mentor-mentee relationship should be included such as presentations, publications, committee/council appointments, promotion, grant submission/funding and job placement. Anecdotes about the mentor or ways in which the mentor has shown an investment in your professional and personal development are very helpful. The following are examples of the qualities one would expect to see in a highly effective mentor: long-term commitment to mentoring; advisor/guide; developer of talent/Coach; opener of doors/sponsor; interpreter of organizational and/or professional rules; successful role mode; protector/shield; listener/cheerleader;
- Each nominator may name one individual for each award;
- Each nominator is encouraged to solicit additional letters of support for his/her nominee(s), not to exceed 4 from others who have been mentored by or could attest to the contributions toward mentoring of the nominee;
- For consideration, the nominee will be need to provide to submit his/her one-two page narrative describing their mentoring philosophy and a list of individuals mentored (junior faculty, trainees, and students). The nominator must notify the nominee of the materials that the nominee needs to submit for consideration.
Prior Winners – Lifetime Achievement in Mentoring:
- 2020 – Peter Koulen, Ph.D.
- 2019 – Christine Sullivan, M.D.
- 2018 – Paul Cuddy, Pharm.D.
- 2017 – Julie Strickland, M.D.
- 2016 – Agostino Molteni, M.D., Ph.D.
- 2015 – John Foxworth, Pharm.D.
Prior Winners – Excellence in Mentoring:
- 2020 – Fariha Shafi, M.D.
- 2019 – David Wooldridge, M.D.
- 2018 – Prakash Chandra, M.D.
- 2017 – Brenda Rogers, M.D.
- 2016 – Pamela Nicklaus, M.D.
- 2015 – Vincent Barone, Ph.D.