Office of Professional Development
Please view previously recorded sessions on your own time (requires UMKC SSO).
The title, presenter(s), and objectives for each session are described.
Sessions are no more than 1-hour each.
Title and Information
“Teaching Skills Panel Discussion” – Darla McCarthy, Ph.D., Jennifer Quaintance, Ph.D., Michael Wacker, Ph.D. Panel Discussion Facilitator, Christine Sullivan, M.D.
- Learn about the teaching philosophies of teaching exemplars, including how you might enhance your current teaching values
- Through examples, learn how you can enhance your learners’ success by incorporating multiple active learning opportunities
- Further enhance your skills to identify and approach the struggling learner
To view presentation: https://umkc.box.com/s/0vcrbp5d20tx2oyzqh57jvl9lspctasc
“What Type of Leader Do You Aspire to Be?” – by Christine Sullivan, M.D. and Phil Byrne, Ed.D.
- Understand different types of leadership
- Identify how your personal strengths/talents can be incorporated into your leadership style
To view presentation: https://umkc.box.com/s/gq8cip3orc2jnianitj9xfqfk7ho7s7r
“Physician Suicide and Burnout” – Doug Burgess, M.D.
- Become familiar with unique risk factors and warning signs associated with suicide in physicians
- List at least 3 barriers physicians face in addressing mental health concerns
- Describe the core features of burnout
- Explore solutions to address increasing rates of burnout and suicide among physicians
To view presentation: https://umkc.box.com/s/m2on9dpp8zxqquxvrfnzydn110px6nzv
“Moving on Up at UMKC School of Medicine” – Prakash Chandra, M.D. and Bini Moorthy, M.D.
Objectives of this workshop-style session:
- Discuss and understand what the UMKC School of Medicine promotion packet requires and timeline for the process.
- Be able to outline the steps necessary to put together the promotions packet, for e.g. evaluations, external reviewers, up-to-date Curriculum vitae.
- Learn about examples of teaching, service, clinical practice and research scholarly activity.
To view presentation: https://umkc.box.com/s/nyiajax8ekkpdgln31buoc26zo3oawwd
“Panopto Presentation, Moving Up at UMKC School of Medicine” then click on links (Part I and Part II)
“How to Support Learners as They Develop Their Professional Identity” – Louise Arnold, Ph.D., Christine Sullivan, M.D., Jennifer Quaintance, Ph.D.
- Review the theory and practice of professional identity formation (PIF)
- Discuss how PIF applies to learners
- Identify how to select methods to guide PIF for learners
To view presentation: https://umkc.box.com/s/kzn7la243exowvdef8xm0wuxhzv5ntff
“Incorporating Adult Learning Strategies into Didactics—Part I and Part II”, Stefanie Ellison, M.D., Jamie Lawless, M.D.
- Introduce key concepts in Adult Learning (Andragogy) and how they pertain to medical education
- Discuss interactive online didactic activities using Zoom, asynchronous learning, and flipped classroom strategies to engage learners
- Review examples of how interactive adult learning can be incorporated into medical education
- Provide free open access medical education resources that can be used by learners.
To view presentation:
Part I – https://umkc.box.com/s/grfvy93v5fyhk9xvm5z69cdbuyg76rug
Part II – https://umkc.box.com/s/ho6oqeu9tsugub2fmw0yfij3uo64vda8
“Guide to Remediation of Learners”, Christine Sullivan, M.D.
- Enhance mechanisms to identify learners that require remediation, including utilizing Root Cause Analysis (RCA) approach to understand cause(s) of sub-standard performance
- Learn, through learner scenarios, how to implement an effective remediation plan
- Recognize and incorporate predictors of success into remediation plans
To view presentation: https://umkc.box.com/s/uvf624cff1u0c8rnnb2x013lhvmg3dje
“Managing Generational Differences in Healthcare Education”, Jenna Wilcox, Ph.D., APMHCNS-BC, CNE
- Explore broad generational differences of the healthcare classroom
- Discuss the impact of generational differences in relation to classroom and workforce interactions
- Apply knowledge of generational differences in a healthcare workforce training simulation
To view presentation: https://umkc.box.com/s/tnhlfr9x3gk0nhg48f5lgvbiitma1t2x
“Microaggressions in Life and Medicine”, Dean Mary Anne Jackson, M.D.
- Understand the impact of microaggressions and ways to build resilience
- Incorporate knowledge of your personal communication style in dealing with microaggressions and building your career plan
- Use the 4Rs framework to deal with microaggressions
- Reason-and impact
- Responsibility-who beyond aggressor are responsible
- Response-strategy and timing
To view presentation: https://umkc.box.com/s/qo7c4p55pcfj482q3kpgv8kmxo4uonkq