TRAINED FACULTY MENTOR
Applications are open for the 2022-2023 program.
Announcement of application opening and deadline will be sent via UMKC Faculty Listerv.
Objective: This training program is for faculty who wish to serve at the School of Medicine as a Mentor for faculty in the Early Career, Mid-Career, or Longevity Career Mentoring programs. A faculty member can choose to be both a Mentee and a Mentor (if they meet the requirements). Mentors do not need to be from the same department, division, section or affiliate as the Mentee; rather there will be a focus to pair Mentee-Mentors together who share similar academic goals.
Benefits from Completion of the Program:
- Can list SOM trained Professional Development Faculty Mentor on CV as an appointed position at the SOM and training as Post-graduate training.
- Service as a Professional Development Faculty Mentor may further progress the Mentor’s career, fulfillment, and opportunities at the SOM.
- Eligible for Faculty Professional Development monetary award annually if Mentor meets with Mentee during academic year, with goal to help support scholarly pursuits.
- Personal fulfillment in “giving back” to SOM and faculty.
- Faculty member at associate professor or professor level. Associate professors can serve as a Mentor for Early Career Faculty. Professors can serve as Mentors for Early Career, Mid-Career, or Longevity Career faculty. Mentors can choose to be both a Mentee and a Mentor.
- Complete brief on-line application to be a Professional Development Faculty Mentor
- Attendance at formal training session
Components of the program:
- Formal session/workshop to gain knowledge and enhance skills that will be useful for coaching other faculty regarding career progression, fulfillment, and promotion.
- Agreement to meet with assigned mentee(s) as needed during the course of the Early, Mid-Career, and Longevity Career Mentoring programs.
To apply to be a Trained Faculty Mentor (click on the link or copy and paste into browser. Application period is open for a limited time during the academic year and will be announced on faculty listserv.