- Students that have already aligned with a mentor should forward the mentor’s contact info to Cheryl Jones, Biomedical Sciences.
1. The SOM requires all individuals working or volunteering in a laboratory setting to complete these TWO CITI courses –
a. Basic Introduction to Biosafety and
b. Training for Investigators, Staff and Student Handling Biohazards See the info under #5 at:https://med.umkc.edu/ora/human_subjects/
2. Individuals that conduct clinical research activities complete TWO more CITI courses –
SOM students should complete the above 4 CITI courses.
3. Other UMKC compliance committees such as the Institutional Animal Use and Care Committee (IACUC) and Radiation Safety committee may need to review the addition of a student to a project depending on circumstances. These groups may assign additional CITI courses.
Students that request an interest in working on research projects – Research Administration will forward the Student Research Info Form to the Faculty Advisors. The Faculty Advisors will attempt to match interested students with a research mentor.
Hospital compliance training, confidentiality agreements and check of vaccinations and TB skin test status.
- Year 1 Research Policy
- Year 1 Research Experience Form
As referenced in the Yr 1 Student Research Policy, current year 1 medical students interested in applying to be paired with a faculty research mentor should complete the FOUR CITI research training courses listed above and submit:
to Cheryl Jones, Biomedical Sciences.
The annual deadline for application is March 1st. Each year 1 student applicant will be reviewed by the Student Research Committee for potential placement with a faculty research mentor. Year 1 students that are selected will hear from the committee a few weeks after the deadline.
Yr 1 students are unable to be matched with a clinical research mentor at University Health because of the requirement that students have to be escorted at all times at UH and the hospital is unable to accommodate computer access requests due to licensing requirements.