University of Missouri-Kansas City
School of Medicine
Summer Scholars (High School)
The University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine, in cooperation with the Truman Medical Center and other affiliates in the Health Science District, will offer its Thirty-Ninth Annual Summer Scholars Program. This program provides a realistic introduction to the field of medicine for high school junior or senior students.
The Summer Scholars Program for 2019 will be offered in two iterations: a traditional two-week experience and a new six-week experience. The latter will be part of the First Annual STAHR Summer Scholars Program. In this program, students will have an extended opportunity to explore the fields of medicine, pharmacy, and dentistry.
Both versions of the program are designed to attract students from groups who have been traditionally under-represented in health care, including economically disadvantaged, minority and rural students. For the STAHR Program, students must indicate that they are from a family that is economically disadvantaged, attend a high school that is economically disadvantaged, or would be the first in their family to attend college. Preference for both programs will be given to students who have also expressed a specific interest health care careers and have taken courses that reflect that interest.
Students will have the opportunity to apply to Traditional Summer Scholars, STAHR Summer Scholars, or both. Applicants seeking to participate in the STAHR Summer Scholars program will be required to provide additional documentation to indicate their eligibility for participation in the six week program.
This year, the Program will be divided into four sections that will run from June 24, 2019 – August 2, 2019. The program will consist of weekday sessions from 7:50 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The program is free: no tuition is charged for program participation.
Summer Scholar sections include:
- STAHR Juniors and Seniors (current 10th graders and 11th graders): June 24 – August 2
- Junior experience (current 10th graders) July 8 – July 19
- Senior experience (current 11th graders) July 22 – August 2
- Advanced Summer Scholars (returning students) July 15 – July 26
Students interested in Traditional Summer Scholars must meet the following requirements:
- Current Sophomores or Juniors
- Attend public or private high schools in the Kansas City Metropolitan area (Johnson and Wyandotte counties in Kansas and Jackson, Platte, Clay and Cass Counties in Missouri).
- Students must be available to attend all Summer Scholars sessions.
Students interested in STAHR Summer Scholars must meet the following requirements:
- All requirements listed above
- Demonstrate a background that is either economically or educationally disadvantaged (required documentation described in application) Click here for the 2019 Summer Scholars High School application.
The 2019 STAHR Summer Scholars High School application closed April 17, 2019 – 5:00 PM