UMKC has the following guidance for students considering external clinical elective opportunities during the 2021-22 academic year.
For students applying to a residency career for which UMKC or CMH does not sponsor a residency program (ENT, PM&R, Urology, Plastic Surgery, Dermatology, Radiation Oncology, Neurosurgery):
- Students are allowed to schedule two external rotations in their clinical field of interest.
For students applying to a residency career for which UMKC or CMH does sponsor a residency program:
- Students are allowed to schedule one external rotation in their clinical field of interest.
- If a student desires a second external clinical rotation, the student must petition to the Curriculum Council for permission.
Schedule changes to accommodate an external clinical elective must be coordinated with the student’s ETC and the curriculum office. As Docent Rotation with a student’s team is a foundational component of the UMKC education, it is optimal that the docent team remain intact. Moving Docent Rotation will occur rarely, and general guidelines are these:
- The change is necessary for the student to graduate on time.
- Curriculum office requires it due to a unique student curriculum need.
- The move is required for an administrative reason (leave of absence, delay in beginning clinical rotations).
All reasons for moving docent rotation must be reviewed and approved by the Curriculum Council, but approval for a reason other than the three listed is unlikely to occur.
If you have any questions or concerns about these policies, please contact Curriculum Office staff or your ETC.
- The Coalition for Physician Accountability’s Work Group on Away Rotations – FAQs (The Coalition for Physician Accountability’s Work Group on Away Rotations — FAQs | AAMC).