UMKC School of Medicine St. Joseph Campus
The School of Medicine’s new St. Joseph campus and its focus on rural medicine is prepared to welcome its inaugural class in January 2021. More >>
The well-being of health care professionals has been pushed to the forefront during the COVID-19 pandemic. More >>
Collaborating for Community Health
UMKC Health Equity Institute mini-grants will give collaborative UMKC-community research a boost. More >>
Researchers at the UMKC School of Medicine Vision Research Center report the effective use of microperimetry during routine clinical assessments of multiple sclerosis patients. More >>
The School of Medicine Student Research Program announced 11 recipients of the 2021 Sarah Morrison Student Research Awards that includes 10 medical students and one graduate student. Awards of up…
The School of Medicine recognized nearly 30 graduating students who participated in the university’s virtual December commencement ceremony on Dec. 19. Similar to the virtual commencement last May, UMKC worked…
One of the School of Medicine’s earliest and long-time faculty members, Louise Arnold, Ph.D., who served as associate dean for medical education and research until her retirement in 2012, died…
UMKC Vision Research Center receives NIH award to promote diversity in health-related research as part of ongoing glaucoma studies
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) has awarded the UMKC Vision Research Center a new $120,399 grant that promotes the training of researchers from diverse backgrounds as part of ongoing…
Doctors have been around since the beginning of human civilization. But are they still necessary today? John Lantos, M.D., director of the Bioethics Center at Children’s Mercy Kansas City Hospital,…
COVID-19 has infected, hospitalized and killed Black Americans at a higher rate compared with whites. As it has with other health disparities, the University of Missouri-Kansas City is going to…
- Follow your passion: We offer six medical degree programs and 19 specialty areas.
- Pick your speed: Apply to our six-year, combined BA/MD or the traditional four-year MD. (We also offer master programs in anesthesia, bioinformatics, health professions education and physician assistant; and an interdisciplinary PhD.)
- Get hands on: From your first semester, you’ll interact with patients and learn about medicine.
- Engage with docents: Through our docent learning system, be an apprentice to a practicing physician while taking part in small-group teaching, mentoring and peer coaching.
- Join in with others: Participate in one of 36 student organizations that build friendships, experience and connections.
- Learn with peers: Interprofessional opportunities abound, strengthened by our medical, dental, nursing and pharmacy programs working together.
- Train with many: We partner with six KC hospitals and Mosaic Life Care in St. Joseph to provide top-notch clinical experiences and specialties.
- Embrace the culture: Whether in the heart of Kansas City or near the Missouri River in St. Joseph, you’ll enjoy plenty of restaurants, events, sports and culture.