New name reflects Truman Medical Center's partnership as a primary teaching hospital for UMKC School of medicine. More >>
Celebrating 50 Years
This year, the UMKC School of Medicine celebrates its 50th anniversary. Beginning with our special 50th anniversary logo, the School of Medicine will present features and events throughout the year to commemorate half a century of excellence in medical education.
UMKC School of Medicine on the Rise!
The UMKC School of Medicine climbed several spots and resides among the nation's best medical schools in the latest U.S. News and World Report annual rankings. More >>
Building a Healthy KC East Side
UMKC project awarded $5 million in CARES Act funding to fight COVID in Kansas City's east-side neighborhoods. More >>
Teaching Students Where They're Needed Most
The UMKC School of Medicine-St. Joseph went from drawing board to reality in just two years — and from Higher Learning Commission approval to students in classrooms in just two months. More >>
UMKC School of Medicine researcher Paula Monaghan Nichols, Ph.D., has received a $867,000 National Institutes of Health grant to look into a treatment that minimizes neurological side effects for a…
Dr. Amy Patel leads KC area Breast Care Center while mentoring students Growing up in Chillicothe, Missouri, a town of fewer than 10,000 people, Amy Patel didn’t see many physicians…
SOAP Notes For October 2021 The School of Medicine Council on Curriculum has selected its new student ambassadors. Ambassadors represent the Health Sciences District and the St. Joseph campus to…
Kevin Du, a first-year physician assistant student at the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine, has experienced patients at their worst while working in the emergency room at University…
Doctoring is hard work, said Robert Muelleman, M.D., quoting long-time emergency medicine physician W. Kendall McNabney, M.D. Muelleman, who spent 36 years in clinical and administrative roles as an emergency…
Fifty years ago, the University of Missouri-Kansas City launched a bold experiment in educating the medical leaders of the future. After years of planning, more than $8.8 million in federal…
- Follow your passion: We offer six medical degree programs and 19 specialty areas.
- Pick your speed: Apply to our six-year, combined BA/MD or the traditional four-year MD. (We also offer master programs in anesthesia, bioinformatics, health professions education and physician assistant; and an interdisciplinary PhD.)
- Get hands on: From your first semester, you’ll interact with patients and learn about medicine.
- Engage with docents: Through our docent learning system, be an apprentice to a practicing physician while taking part in small-group teaching, mentoring and peer coaching.
- Join in with others: Participate in one of 36 student organizations that build friendships, experience and connections.
- Learn with peers: Interprofessional opportunities abound, strengthened by our medical, dental, nursing and pharmacy programs working together.
- Train with many: We partner with six KC hospitals and Mosaic Life Care in St. Joseph to provide top-notch clinical experiences and specialties.
- Embrace the culture: Whether in the heart of Kansas City or near the Missouri River in St. Joseph, you’ll enjoy plenty of restaurants, events, sports and culture.