UMKC Medical Students Celebrate Match Day
Stories of an untraditional medical student and two siblings who fulfilled their dream. More >>
$100 Million Project Planned for Health Sciences District
New multi-story building will expand classrooms and teaching clinics, spur research and development. More >>
UMKC School of Medicine Ranks Among the Nation's Best
The UMKC School of Medicine is the highest-ranked medical school in Missouri for Primary Care in the 2023 graduate school rankings by U.S. News & World Report. More >>
Class of 2023 urged to 'change the world'
The UMKC School of Medicine recognized more than 180 graduates during the school's annual hooding ceremony at Swinney Center. More >>
School of Medicine honors 2023 Take Wing Award recipient, Richard Barohn, M.D. More >>
The University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine has received the 2023 Health Professionals Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) award from INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine. In a letter to…
Alumnus Alexander Norbash, M.D., M.S., FACR, has been named the new dean of the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine. He will begin March 11. Norbash will be coming…
The University of Missouri-Kansas City Class of 2024 Alumni Achievement Award recipients include a national ABC News anchor, a nonprofit founder and Kansas City trailblazers. Each year, UMKC recognizes a…
The University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine has received the prestigious Spencer Foreman Award for Outstanding Community Engagement from the Association of American Medical Colleges. The award highlights the…
William Ritter, M.D., (M.A. ’18), looks at a painting or a sculpture of the human body by Michelangelo or Leonardo Da Vinci and sees more than a famous work of art.…
Our Healthy Jackson County is bringing health care to the people. The Gregg/Klice Community Center in Kansas City was buzzing on a recent Saturday afternoon with a DJ, free food,…
The William and Marjorie Sirridge Annual Lecture
What We’ve Become: Living and Dying in a Country of Arms
Frederick B. Rentschler II Professor of Sociology and Medicine
Director, Department of Medicine, Health and Society
Professor of Psychiatry
Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee
- Follow your passion: We offer six medical degree programs and 19 specialty areas.
- Pick your speed: Apply to our six-year, combined BA/MD or the traditional four-year MD. (We also offer master programs in anesthesia, bioinformatics, health professions education and physician assistant; and an interdisciplinary PhD.)
- Get hands on: From your first semester, you’ll interact with patients and learn about medicine.
- Engage with docents: Through our docent learning system, be an apprentice to a practicing physician while taking part in small-group teaching, mentoring and peer coaching.
- Join in with others: Participate in one of 36 student organizations that build friendships, experience and connections.
- Learn with peers: Interprofessional opportunities abound, strengthened by our medical, dental, nursing and pharmacy programs working together.
- Train with many: We partner with six KC hospitals and Mosaic Life Care in St. Joseph to provide top-notch clinical experiences and specialties.
- Embrace the culture: Whether in the heart of Kansas City or near the Missouri River in St. Joseph, you’ll enjoy plenty of restaurants, events, sports and culture.