New medicine campus opening January 2021
Learn about the School of Medicine’s new St. Joseph campus – and its focus on rural medicine. More >>
The well-being of health care professionals has been pushed to the forefront during the COVID-19 pandemic. More >>
Pieter Cohen, M.D., an associate professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School speak on managing acute COVID-19 in the clinic at the School of Medicine's annual William Goodson Jr., Memorial Lecture on Oct. 30. More >>
Collaborating for Community Health
UMKC Health Equity Institute mini-grants will give collaborative UMKC-community research a boost. More >>
The UMKC Board of Trustees has selected UMKC School of Medicine’s vision and neuroscience researcher Peter Koulen, Ph.D., as the recipient of the 2020 UMKC Trustee’s Faculty Fellow Award. Dr…
Making access to health care more equal is a tough task, and a pandemic only makes the job tougher. To help, the UMKC Health Equity Institute is trying a new…
Third-year medical student Angela Nwankwo has been selected to a national leadership position with the Student National Medical. She is serving as co-chair of organization’s national publications committee. She took…
The UMKC School of Medicine has announced four recent appointments to academic leadership positions: John Borsa, M.D., chair of the Department of Radiology; Adam Algren, M.D., chair of the Department…
Technology used in eye exams called microperimetry could prove to be an effective, non-invasive method of identifying early symptoms of multiple sclerosis. An article recently published by researchers at the…
In place of KC Marathon, Million Mile Challenge makes every mile count with free and discounted entries for SOM
The Garmin Kansas City Marathon is not alone in canceling its fall event because of the coronavirus, but its organizers are challenging runners and supporters in a new way. UMKC…
Thursday, Dec. 10, 2020
Do We Still Need Doctors?
John D. Lantos, M.D.
Professor of Pediatrics
Glasnapp Family Foundation Endowed Chair in Bioethics
Director, Children’s Mercy Bioethics Center
Children’s Mercy Kansas City
Meeting ID: 965 4875 2079
- Follow your passion: We offer six medical degree programs and 19 specialty areas.
- Pick your speed: Apply to our six-year, combined BA/MD or the traditional four-year MD. (We also offer master programs in anesthesia, bioinformatics, health professions education and physician assistant; and an interdisciplinary PhD.)
- Get hands on: From your first semester, you’ll interact with patients and learn about medicine.
- Engage with docents: Through our docent learning system, be an apprentice to a practicing physician while taking part in small-group teaching, mentoring and peer coaching.
- Join in with others: Participate in one of 36 student organizations that build friendships, experience and connections.
- Learn with peers: Interprofessional opportunities abound, strengthened by our medical, dental, nursing and pharmacy programs working together.
- Train with many: We partner with six KC hospitals and Mosaic Life Care in St. Joseph to provide top-notch clinical experiences and specialties.
- Embrace the culture: Whether in the heart of Kansas City or near the Missouri River in St. Joseph, you’ll enjoy plenty of restaurants, events, sports and culture.