Jessica A. Hellings, MB. BCh, M.Med. Psych., DLFAPA
Department(s) of Psychiatry
Education and Background
Witwatersrand University - Johannesburg, S. Africa
M.Med. Psych. - Witwatersrand University - Johannesburg, S. Africa
Fellowship - Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, University of Kansas Medical Center
Board Certification - General Psychiatry, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
Meet Jessica Hellings
- Specialties and Research/Medical Interests: 30 years’ experience in psychopharmacology (medication treatments) for severe challenging behaviors in children, adolescents and adults with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and Intellectual/Developmental Disabilities (IDD), including aggression, self-injury and property destruction. Minimally verbal individuals and treatment resistance included.
- Gut-brain axis in neuropsychiatric illness.
- Women’s advocacy, active member and local president of American Association of University Women.
- Medical education development to increase focus on Autism and Intellectual Disabilities.
- New and old drugs impacting BDNF, for neuropsychiatric illness associated with severe challenging behaviors in all ages with ASD and/or IDD (Hellings et al., Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy, 2017) .
- Weight gain and medical illness associated with dopamine antagonists (antipsychotic drugs), and ways to reverse it in ASD/IDD.
- Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder in all ages with ASD and /or IDD (Hellings et al., Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, In: Diagnostic Manual of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities- 2, Eds: Fletcher R.J., Barnhill J., Cooper, S. NADD, New York, 2016).
- Treatment resistance in ASD/IDD, causes and management.
- Minimally verbal individuals, and severe behavior problems.
- Gluten sensitivity, celiac disease and neuropsychiatric illness.
- Dr. Hellings has served as medical director of ASD/IDD Neuropsychiatric Services for Kansas University Medical Center, The Ohio State University Nisonger Center and State of Missouri.