New! We are excited to offer Medical Education Fellowship Training. This 1 or 2-year non-ACGME fellowship program is designed for those interested in a career in academic emergency medicine and seeking to build skills in teaching, curriculum development, leadership and mentoring, simulation-based education, and medical education research. 2-year fellows will complete a Master of Health Professions Education (MHPE) degree (Graduate Certificate for 1-year fellows).
To foster the professional growth and development of future emergency medicine academicians and simulationists through a robust curriculum and formalized mentorship that ideally leverages the strengths of the organization, its people, and the fellow.
Goals (summary, selected):
After completion of the fellowship program, the fellow will be able to:
- Explain the theoretical basis, benefits and limitations of clinical and non-clinical teaching, including simulation-based medical education.
- Deliver effective clinical and non-clinical theory-based instruction to both large and small groups.
- Effectively use a variety of technologies to teach, learn, and communicate.
- Provide leadership that is evidence-based and reflective of the fellows’ inherent skillset
- Develop and execute educational research that contributes to the advancement of health professions education and patient care.
There are 4 key dimensions to the program outlined below. The following will assist the fellow in developing skills that fall under each dimension: The Master of Health Professions Education (MHPE) degree coursework, participation in fellowship didactics, attendance at select regional and national workshops and conferences, and experiential learning through projects and mentorship in TMC Dept EM and UMKCs simulation center.
- Teaching Skills, Theory, and Educational Principles
- Educational Research Methodology
- Educational Program Administration & Leadership
- Simulation-Based Medical Education Theory, Practice
- Competitive fellowship salary. Additional stipend above University’s PGY-4/5 salary.
- Full-time employment benefits as a fellow at the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine
- Faculty Appointment in the TMC Department of Emergency Medicine.
- Clinical shifts at the teaching sites of the UMKC Emergency Medicine Residency Program: Truman Medical Centers and Children’s Mercy Hospital.
- Protected non-clinical time for the fellowship curriculum with an average of 8-10 shifts per month
- Funded Master of Health Professions Education (MHPE) degree (certificate for 1-year fellow).
- Funded registration and travel to select regional and national simulation conferences during each year of the program.
- $1,000 yearly stipend for continuing medical education.
- Internal and external moonlighting permitted.
- Potential for additional funded registration and travel for regional or national abstract or didactic presentations.
- Robust mentoring and feedback, including regular contact with fellowship directors and program mentors.
Candidates must have graduated in good standing from an ACGME-accredited emergency medicine (EM) residency program and must be board-certified or board-eligible in EM.
Please contact Emily Hillman, MD and Melanie Camejo, MD for questions or more information. Qualifications include Board Certified or Board Eligible in Emergency Medicine (residency trained at an ACGME-approved program), must have graduated in good standing, and a strong interest in academic emergency medicine career.
Applicants are asked to provide:
- Curriculum vitae with contact information for three references. At least one reference should be a member of residency program leadership.
- A letter of recommendation
- A statement outlining reasons for pursing a combined Medical Education/Simulation Fellowship. No longer than 250 words.
Applicants will be invited to interview during September or October. We will extend a match offer in Nov-Dec. Applicants must be accepted into the UMKC Masters of Health Professions Education (MHPE) Program to start the fellowship. There is one fellowship position available for the current application season.
Emily Hillman, M.D.
Assistant Professor Emergency Medicine
Fellowship Director and Assistant EM Residency Program Director
Medical Director Clinical Training Facility-UMKC SOM
Melanie Camejo, M.D.
Assistant Professor Emergency Medicine
Associate Fellowship Director and EM Student Clerkship Director