The UMKC Paramedic program is designed to introduce the EMT to the principles and practices of advanced life support and pre-hospital emergency medical care. The program is based upon the 2009 EMS Education Standards for Paramedic education. Upon successful completion of the program, a certificate will be awarded that permits the student to participate in the national certification examinations that lead to state licensure. The goal of the Paramedic program is to prepare competent entry-level Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedics in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains.
- At least 18 years of age.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Valid Missouri EMT-B license or ability to obtain Missouri reciprocity (NREMT) prior to start of program.
- Submission of a written application and three letters of reference.
- Wonderlic SLE score of 18 or greater.
- Completion of an EMT knowledge test.
- Attendance at a program orientation session.
- College-level A&P course or complete the A&P review course offered by the program.
- Obtain course required criminal background check no later than the third week of class.
- Obtain a 10-panel drug test no later than the third week of class.
- Submit clinical health requirements no later than the third week of class.
- Computer access, with internet access, email, and printer for homework.
The UMKC Paramedic Program is approved by the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services Bureau of EMS (09529T6). The program curriculum exceeds that of both the U.S. Department of Transportation and the Missouri Bureau of EMS.
The UMKC School of Medicine Paramedic Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions (CoAEMSP).
|Paramedic Program – Exam, Retention, and Positive Placement|
|Cohort||Students in Cohort||Students Completed||Program Retention||Positive Placement||NREMT 1st Attempt||NREMT 3rd Attempt||NREMT All Attempts||NREMT Psychomotor|
Paramedic Program Documents and Registration:
Note: Applications for the 2022 Program will open on 6/1/2021. If you have questions or require additional, please contact us.