We dare to be different…
…while making a difference!
UMKC Family Medicine Residency is one of the most comprehensive family medicine programs in the country as well as one of the largest. With 36 residents and 3 fellowships, over the past 30+ years. Our mission is to provide an unequaled opportunity to be a successful family medicine physician in a variety of practice environments. University Health Lakewood Medical Center – Kansas City, Missouri is home base for the program.
- Bess Truman Family Medicine Center, our Continuity clinic is an NCQA(National Committee for Quality Assurance) Level 3 recognized Patient Centered Medical Home. Residents are part of one of three teams consisting of 12 residents, 2 Core Faculty, 3 MAs/ LPNs, and an RN care manager, with front desk staff and scheduler support. The clinic has a dedicated phlebotomist, Integrated Behaviorist and social worker offering comprehensive medical care. Additional team members are Advanced Nurse Practitioners, a PharmD, and students (pharmacy, medical and physician assistant). There are over 30,000 patient visits per year.
Our residents also see patients in additional clinics staffed by Family Medicine Faculty including Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment (OMT), Maternal Care, Sports Medicine, Dermatology, Procedures, Anticoagulation, Women’s health and Colposcopy clinics as well as Pediatrics clinic.
- Block Scheduling offers 13 four-week rotations per year (curriculum). This allows our residents to get a broader experience across the spectrum of primary care in the form of additional electives.
- Combined with the opportunity for a great tertiary care experience at our urban hospital, University Health Truman Medical Center (UHTMC) is an academic health center providing accessible, state-of-the-art quality health care to our community regardless of the ability to pay.
- Education includes dedicated didactic sessions weekly, which is protected time from clinical responsibilities. All residents also get together at the end of each block for education and to discuss process improvements. We also have required noon conferences on Thursday each week(rotates through Grand Rounds, M&M, Chairman’s conference and Program Director time) during which lunch is provided, as well as other lunchtime educational opportunities.
- Educational Conference Room utilizes technology offers the ability to provide didactics on all levels. We offer interactive lectures utilizing audience response system and Web-eX as well as use of apps for didactic sessions.
- Electronic Medical Record (EMR) system works off Cerner PowerChart, enhanced with mobile(phone and iPad) access to Powerchart Touch, allowing for easy access to information between specialists, clinics, and the inpatient services. UHTMC has been repeatedly recognized as one of Health Care’s “Most Wired” organizations by Hospitals & Health Networks magazine, the journal of the American Hospital Association.
- Family Friendly means having one of the largest residencies in the country allowing for easy cross coverage for unexpected life emergencies.
- Focus on Well-being offers a strong well-being and burnout curriculum. Includes once a month meeting for each individual PGY class and the FM Behaviorist for professional development.
- Fellowships allow individualized learning opportunities to go one step further. We have three fellowship programs including Family Medicine Maternity Care, Geriatric Medicine, and Sports Medicine.
- Individualized Learning provides our residents the opportunity to individualize their learning into a variety of areas of special interest. We currently offer focus in Geriatric Medicine, Health Informatics, Integrative Medicine, Sports Medicine, and Women’s Health & Maternity. Other areas may be available upon inquiry.
- Level II NICU and Newborn Nursery where residents train in the care of the well newborn as well as sick newborn in the NICU(supported by NRMPs from Children’s Mercy Hospital and Neonatologists).
- Medical Library is open 24 hours and conveniently located in the Residency Center. Services include an onsite journal and monograph collection, reference service, bibliographic instruction, literature searching, article retrieval, technology instruction and educational program support. Staffed by a professional Clinical Medical Librarian who is a vital part of our administration.
- Modified Night Float System where PGY I and II residents work a week of call rather than the entire month on Inpatient services. We foster a positive learning environment.
- Osteopathic Recognition program through the UMKC Family Medicine Residency has a long history of excellence in Osteopathic Education. We had dual accreditation by the ACGME and AOA for many years and now have Continued Accreditation for Osteopathic Recognition from the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) under the single accreditation system. We have an affiliation with Kansas City University (KCU) as our osteopathic post-doctoral training institution. KCU Faculty provide an annual workshop during intern orientation for all incoming Osteopathic Designated residents as well as providing Osteopathic resources for faculty in Osteopathic education.
- Preparation for practice is built through robust longitudinal curriculum in the Patient Centered Medical Home and Leadership. Curriculum includes Quality and Process improvement, patient safety, advocacy, leadership, population health, and value-based reimbursement/practice management education.
- Ranked as a Top Five FM OB program in the U.S. We delivered over 1200 babies last year. Over 90% of c-sections are staffed by family physicians trained in surgical obstetrics.
- Resident Involvement through the Program Evaluation Committee, GMEC Housestaff Committee and representation to administration by the chief residents on various other committees give the residents a significant voice in the policies and programs within the residency.
- Resident Lounge is a newly updated “resident only” area is a place to get work done, study and relax. Includes a wall mounted 55” TV, conference table with chairs, modern tech center with telephones, computers and additional jacks for personal computers, refrigerator, microwave, and a new single serving coffee maker.
- Specialty Clinics at Lakewood such as Rheumatology, Neurology, Cardiology, and more increase opportunities for residents to broaden their experience.
- Unopposed program in a primary care community hospital setting. Our program is the only residency based in our hospital (TMC Lakewood) other than Podiatry and Dental Residencies. There are opportunities to interact with other residents as they rotate through Lakewood including; Surgery, GYN and Psychiatry.
Urban? Suburban? Rural? Whatever your lifestyle, it can be found withing 15 minutes of our hospital. Located in the southeastern sector of Kansas City, Missouri; we have the advantages of a suburban setting within easy access to all the benefits from living in the greater Kansas City Metropolitan Area. This includes an active theater, visual arts and music scene; professional sports (football, baseball, soccer, hockey); fine dining; historic shopping districts; outdoor recreation; theme parks; affordable housing; and a myriad of family friendly activities.
We have really great people to work with, and excel as one of the top programs in the U.S. in Academics, Geriatric Medicine, Maternity Care, Pediatrics, Public Health, Sports and Adolescent Medicine.