In order to be considered for the MSA Scholars program, a student must meet the following requirements:
- Attend an institution with whom UMKC has partnered to offer the MSA Scholars program:
- University of Missouri – Kansas City
- University of Missouri – Columbia
- University of Missouri – St. Louis
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- Avila University
- Truman State University
- Rockhurst University
- Obtain a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher at the time of application.
- Students must earn a grade of B- or better in all science coursework. Students who do not earn a B- or better in all science coursework will not be eligible for admission.
- Complete at least ten (10) hours of shadowing an anesthesiologist, an AA, or a CRNA. (Recommended, not required for the 2020 application cycle, due to COVID-19 restrictions.)
Application review and selection process
Students should submit the following applications and application materials to email@example.com.
- School of Medicine MSA Scholars application
- College and/or university transcripts displaying grades through the point of application
- Essay (Applicants are welcome to address how COVID-19 has impacted their application for the 2020 cycle.)
- Résumé or CV
- A Minimum of three letters of recommendation. At least one letter must be submitted from a faculty member
- Shadowing Experience Verification Form
- Must verify at least ten (10) hours of shadowing an anesthesiologist, an AA, or a CRNA for the MSA program.
Note: the required shadowing hours may not be fulfilled within employment, internship, or class experiences.
To review a step-by-step guide to the application process, please visit https://med.umkc.edu/msa/scholars/apply/
Final Requirements for Students Offered Admission to the MSA Scholars Program
Matriculation to the School of Medicine Master of Science in Anesthesia Program is contingent upon meeting the following requirements:
- Earn a GPA of 3.5 or higher in the following pre-requisite courses:
- Two semesters of biology with lab
- Two semesters of general chemistry with lab
- One semester of organic chemistry I with lab
- One semester of organic chemistry II with lab,
- Two semesters of physics (sophomore level) with lab
- One semester of biochemistry (upper-level)
- One semester of human anatomy
- One semester of physiology
- One semester of human anatomy and physiology (4+ credit-hour course) may be accepted for one semester of human anatomy and one semester of physiology
- Two semesters of mathematics (calculus, pre-calculus, statistics, college algebra, or trigonometry)
- One course in medical terminology
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- Earn a combined MCAT score of 494 on the 2015 MCAT or a combined score of 300 on the GRE.
- Earn a baccalaureate degree from a partner institution prior to entering the School of Medicine MSA program.
- Students must earn a grade of B- or better in all pre-requisite coursework.
- At graduation, provide a letter of support from an academic advisor or faculty member addressing professionalism.
- Submit to and pass a criminal background check prior to matriculation.
- Submit the School of Medicine MSA Technical Standards.
- Submit the UMKC General Application for Admission.
- Submit the CASAA application.