In order to be considered for the MSA Scholars program, a student must meet the following requirements:
- Attend an institution with whom UMKC has partnered to offer the MSA Scholars program:
- University of Missouri – Kansas City
- University of Missouri – Columbia
- University of Missouri – St. Louis
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- Avila University
- Truman State University
- Rockhurst University
- Obtain a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher at the time of application.
- Students must earn a grade of B- or better in all science coursework. Students who do not earn a B- or better in all science coursework will not be eligible for admission.
- Complete at least ten (10) hours of shadowing an anesthesiologist, an AA, or a CRNA. (Due to COVID-19 restrictions, shadowing is recommended, but not required for the 2021 application cycle. If you are not able to shadow, please complete an informational interview with an Anesthesiologist Assistant.)
Application review and selection process
Students should submit the following applications and application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- School of Medicine MSA Scholars application
- College and/or university transcripts displaying grades through the point of application
- Essay (Applicants are welcome to address how COVID-19 has impacted their application for the 2021 cycle.)
- Résumé or CV
- A Minimum of three letters of recommendation. At least one letter must be submitted from a faculty member
- Shadowing Experience Verification Form
- Must verify at least ten (10) hours of shadowing an anesthesiologist, an AA, or a CRNA for the MSA program. (Due to COVID-19 restrictions, shadowing is recommended, but not required for the 2021 application cycle. If you are not able to shadow, please complete an informational interview with an Anesthesiologist Assistant.)
Note: the required shadowing hours may not be fulfilled within employment, internship, or class experiences.
To review a step-by-step guide to the application process, please visit https://med.umkc.edu/msa/scholars/apply/
Final Requirements for Students Offered Admission to the MSA Scholars Program
Matriculation to the School of Medicine Master of Science in Anesthesia Program is contingent upon meeting the following requirements:
- Earn a GPA of 3.5 or higher in the following pre-requisite courses:
- Two semesters of biology with lab
- Two semesters of general chemistry with lab
- One semester of organic chemistry I with lab
- One semester of organic chemistry II with lab,
- Two semesters of physics (sophomore level) with lab
- One semester of biochemistry (upper-level)
- One semester of human anatomy
- One semester of physiology
- One semester of human anatomy and physiology (4+ credit-hour course) may be accepted for one semester of human anatomy and one semester of physiology
- One semester of statistics (quantitative-based)
- One semester of mathematics (calculus, pre-calculus, additional statistics course, college algebra, or trigonometry
- One course in medical terminology
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Earn a baccalaureate degree from a partner institution prior to entering the School of Medicine MSA program.
- Students must earn a grade of B- or better in all pre-requisite coursework.
- At graduation, provide a letter of support from an academic advisor or faculty member addressing professionalism.
- Submit to and pass a criminal background check prior to matriculation.
- Submit the School of Medicine MSA Technical Standards.
- Submit the UMKC General Application for Admission.
- Submit the CASAA application.
- Student admitted through the MSA Scholars Program do not have to submit a GRE or MCAT score.