Our first resident and fellow initiative is the Resident Advisory Group called UNITED-Uniting Numerous medIcal Trainees for Equity and Diversity. Stay tuned for our membership recruitment season for new members Fall 2021. We invite 1-2 members of each residency and fellowship to join UNITED and champion the work of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Learn More about U.N.I.T.E.D.
Critical Mass Gathering (CMG)
The Critical Mass Gathering hosted its first entirely virtual event in 2020 with our partners Kansas Medical Center and Kansas City University of Medical and Biosciences for Underrepresented Minorities in Medicine to collaborate, grow, and strengthen their journey through medical school. Stay tuned for CMG XVI coming soon October 16, 2021. Interested please email Rachel McCommon (email@example.com) for more information.
Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The School of Medicine believes that a vibrant and diverse institutional climate is essential to the medical education and work environment, both promoting a culture of inclusion and the ability to effectively deliver healthcare in diverse communities. We want all faculty, staff, trainees, and students to feel safe, valued, and represented in the School of Medicine. As part of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) we value and address the importance of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in supporting the retention, persistence, and success of the historically marginalized (race and gender binary identities) and underrepresented populations (first generation college student, first generation medical student, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, differently abled, military, ethnicity, non-traditional students, age, socio-economic status and other identity intersections) in the UMKC School of Medicine.
Educational Resources will be available here on our website in the coming months on topics like Pronouns, Anti-Racism, LGBTQ+, and understanding culture and identities.
– From the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The School of Medicine established an office of diversity in October 1980. Since its inception, the Office of Diversity and Inclusion has worked closely with students, faculty and staff to develop and promote programs and initiatives that support an inclusive environment. In 2020, the office name was updated to include Equity and now is named Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION OFFICE PRIORITIES
- Promote policies, initiatives and resources that build an environment and community of success for all diverse faculty, staff, trainees, and students, with special attention to underrepresented populations in medicine and at UMKC.
- Increase the diversity of our faculty, staff, trainees, and student population through recruitment, retention and success programs.
- Strengthen connections between the School of Medicine and the community in which it serves through service learning, research and/or other opportunities for collaboration.
- Encourage initiatives that promote cultural competency in teaching, learning and healthcare delivery.