Students Accepted for Visiting Elective Rotations
Each year, approximately 250 students participate in elective experiences at the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine and its affiliated hospitals. Innovations at the UMKC School of Medicine challenge and encourage medical students to become competent and caring physicians. UMKC’s residency programs do the same through the participation of local primary affiliated hospitals: Truman Medical Center-Hospital Hill, Truman Medical Center-Lakewood, Saint Luke’s Hospital, Children’s Mercy Hospital and Center for Behavioral Medicine.
The UMKC School of Medicine and its affiliated hospitals offer residencies in Internal Medicine, Anesthesiology, Emergency Medicine, Family Practice, General Surgery, Thoracic Surgery, Obstetrics/Gynecology, Ophthalmology, Oral Surgery, Orthopedic Surgery, Pathology, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, and Radiology. Additional sub-specialty fellowship programs include Cardiology, Pulmonary, Infectious Diseases, Gastroenterology, and others. Residents and Fellows enjoy a close and supportive relationship with the faculty, staff, and students, and experience active and diverse clinical opportunities.
The UMKC School of Medicine accepts visiting students currently enrolled in a domestic LCME or D.O. accredited programs for participation in clinical elective rotations. Post-graduate M.D.s will not be scheduled into medical student electives.
UMKC only accepts visiting international students from our three affiliated international institutions:
Harbin Medical University – Harbin, China
Medical University of Graz – Graz, Austria
Instituto Tecnológico Y De Estudios Superiores de Monterrey – Monterrey, Mexico
St. Luke’s Hospital only accepts students from UMKC, Kansas City University, and international students from the SABA University School of Medicine.
Elective Placement Process
UMKC students are given priority in the elective placement process. Elective applications are accepted starting each April for electives offered in Blocks 1-7 (Summer and Fall semesters) and in August for electives offered in Blocks 8-13 (Spring semester). Final confirmation on electives will not be made until 6-8 weeks prior to the start of each rotation.
All prospective visiting students currently enrolled in LCME or D.O. accredited programs must submit the required application materials in the AAMC Visiting Student Learning Opportunities(VSLO) system. For more information on VSLO, access www.aamc.org/vsas or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
General Directions for Elective Scheduling
Domestic visiting students should view the available elective offerings on the VSLO page. Our institution is listed as “U Missouri Kansas City SOM”.
International visiting students from the three affiliated international institutions should work with their home coordinator, and contact Ms. Sarah McKee to discuss options.
Maximum Number of Electives for Visiting Students
For the 21-22 academic year, visiting students are limited to one 4-week elective rotation. No exceptions will be made to this maximum.
Application Requirements & Processes
- Visiting students must submit the required application materials and verification information in the VSLO system.
- Students must be in good academic standing at their home institution.
- Student must have been instructed on OSHA safety measures and infection control processes.
- Students must show proof of ACLS and BLS certification dates.
- Students must take electives for credit at their home institution.
- Student must have malpractice insurance coverage of $1,000,000 per instance and $3,000,000 aggregate.
- Student must hold personal health insurance.
- Clerkship completion dates must be verified by home institution.
- Student must meet UMKC immunization requirements and complete the AAMC immunization form
- Student must have complied with HIPAA Training Requirements.
- Student must provide the date of a completed criminal background check.
- Student must provide verification that USMLE Step I or COMLEX-USA Level I has been passed.
- Student must provide Curriculum Vita.
- Student must provide academic transcripts.
- Student must provide clear photo (.png or .jpg format).
- Student must complete required paperwork and provide the last 6 digits of their SSN.
- Other requirements as specified by department.
The UMKC School of Medicine offers elective rotations according to the SOM block schedule, available here and listed in VSLO
Main Visiting Student Electives Contact:
Children’s Mercy Hospital Contact:
Children’s Mercy Visiting Student Webpage: student electives & sub-internships
St. Luke’s Hospital Electives:
St. Luke’s Hospital only accepts students from UMKC, Kansas City University (KCU) and international students from SABA University School of Medicine. KCU students should work with their home school electives coordinator to schedule elective rotations. SABA students, please contact Dr. Kelly Laurent at email@example.com.
Thank you for your interest in the University of Missouri – Kansas City School of Medicine.