1. The SOM requires all individuals working or volunteering in a laboratory setting to complete these TWO CITI courses –
a. Basic Introduction to Biosafety and
b. Training for Investigators, Staff and Student Handling Biohazards See the info under #5 at:http://med.umkc.edu/ora/human_subjects/
2. Individuals that conduct clinical research activities complete TWO more CITI courses –
SOM students should complete the above 4 CITI courses.
3. Other UMKC compliance committees such as the Institutional Animal Use and Care Committee (IACUC) and Radiation Safety committee may need to review the addition of a student to a project depending on circumstances. These groups may assign additional CITI courses.
Research mentors may also ask students to sign a confidentiality agreement.
Hospital compliance training, confidentiality agreements and check of vaccinations and TB skin test status.
- Year 1 and Year 2 Research Policy
- Year 1 and Year 2 Research Experience Form
As referenced in the Yr 1 and Yr2 Student Research Policy, current year 1 and year 2 medical students interested in applying to be paired with a faculty research mentor should complete the FOUR CITI research training courses listed above and submit:
to Research Administration (SOMResearch@umkc.edu).
Each year 1 and year 2 student applicant will be reviewed by the Student Research Committee for potential placement with a faculty research mentor. The committee reviews student submissions on March 1, July 1 and November 1 each year. Year 1 and 2 students that are selected – will hear from the committee a few weeks after each deadline.
See the Year 1 and Year 2 Student Research Policy for more info.