1. The SOM requires all individuals working or volunteering in a laboratory setting to complete these TWO CITI courses –
a. Basic Introduction to Biosafety and
b. Training for Investigators, Staff and Student Handling Biohazards See the info under #5 at:http://med.umkc.edu/ora/human_subjects/
2. Individuals that conduct clinical research activities complete TWO more CITI courses –
SOM students should complete the above 4 CITI courses.
3. Other UMKC compliance committees such as the Institutional Animal Use and Care Committee (IACUC) and Radiation Safety committee may need to review the addition of a student to a project depending on circumstances. These groups may assign additional CITI courses.
Research mentors may also ask students to sign a confidentiality agreement.
Hospital compliance training, confidentiality agreements and check of vaccinations and TB skin test status.
- Year 1 and Year 2 Research Policy
- Year 1 and Year 2 Research Experience Form
As referenced in the Yr 1 and Yr2 Student Research Policy, current year 1 and year 2 medical students interested in applying to be paired with a faculty research mentor should complete the FOUR CITI research training courses listed above and submit:
to Research Administration (SOMResearch@umkc.edu).
Each year 1 and year 2 student applicant will be reviewed by the Student Research Committee for potential placement with a faculty research mentor. The committee reviews student submissions on September 1 and November 1 each year. Year 1 and 2 students that are selected – will hear from the committee a few weeks after each deadline.
Yr 1 and Yr 2 students are unable to be matched with a clinical research mentor at Truman Medical Center because of the requirement that students have to be escorted at all times at TMC and the hospital is unable to accommodate computer access requests due to licensing requirements.