The UMKC School of Medicine offers a PA Scholars program that would offer early and guaranteed admission to college students interested in applying to the Master of Medical Science Physician Assistant Program. Admission is guaranteed to those students offered admission through the PA Scholars Program, who earn their undergraduate degree from a partner institution and successfully complete all final matriculation requirements.
This program would offer early admission for students currently in their junior year of college who attend the following universities:
- University of Missouri – Kansas City
- University of Missouri – Columbia
- University of Missouri – St. Louis
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- Avila University
- Truman State University
- Rockhurst University
An application will NOT be reviewed until all supporting documents have been received. When all application materials have been received, the MMSPA admissions committee will review all complete applications. All application materials must be emailed to the Office of Admissions by August 1.
Students applying for admission to the PA Scholars program must submit the following documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The School of Medicine Scholars Application
- Official college transcripts
- Personal statement (Applicants may address how COVID-19 restrictions have impacted their application for the 2021 application cycle.)
- Résumé or CV
- A minimum of three letters of recommendation. At least one letter must be submitted from a faculty member.
- Shadowing Experience Verification Form
- Verifying at least 24 hours of shadowing a physician assistant for the MMSPA program. (Due to COVID-19 restrictions, shadowing is recommended, but not required for the 2021 application cycle.)
** Note: the required PA shadowing hours may not be fulfilled within employment, internship, or class experiences.
After the review of all complete applications by the MMSPA admissions committee, candidates will be selected for interview. If selected for an interview, applicants will be required to be present at the date and time of the interview. All applicants invited to interview must interview in person at the School of Medicine. Phone interviews will not be permitted.
After all applicants invited have been interviewed, the MMSPA admissions committee will extend offers of guaranteed admission to those candidates who best qualify for the PA Scholars Program. Applicants will be notified in writing of the decisions. Once admitted to the PA Scholars Program, a student would then have a seat in the MMSPA program for the appropriate term after graduating with a baccalaureate degree, pending successful completion of final matriculation requirements.
The MMSPA admissions committee reserves the right to not admit any applicants from a partner institution in a given year, if the admissions committee so chooses.